Emissions nightmare

Right MOT test time is here again and lupo is over the limits AGAIN

Last year I replaced the cat with a react one and the lambda sensor.

I had to take the breather off the airbox to make it pass.

Just wondering what anyones thoughts on what this could be. It's a major bug and I just want it resolved. Not to mention the garage are complete *£^(*&$ but it's the one my sister booked it into.

I honestly can't think what it can be. It runs fantastically.!!!

Have you cleaned out the EGR valve? Worth a crack it's an easy job. Or there's 2 lambda sensors, could it be the other one? Checked for fault codes?

Because it's a very early sport there isn't an EGR and there is only 1 lambda sensor on the down pipe.

The garage said a non gen cat has a life of only 13 months probably so will have worn out. I'm not a fool so won't buy that as it came with a 2 year guarantee.

When I scanned for codes last time nothing came up and this was the day before the MOT.

I'll post the readings when I get home, I've just had a news over the phone :( such a pain in the pooper

The silly man said it was well over what it should be though.

Throttle body was cleaned about a year ago and had a wipe when the engine came out in december. K&N panel filter, I've done loads of work to lupo :(

Edited by grazo22

It's an AFK with etb trans

Single cat then.

I assume its up to date service wise? Fuel filter/plugs etc.

When you say you had to remove the breather pipe, how did that affect it?

When the breather was removed it was much better. I think there may be something wrong with the black box on the back of the engine.

Anyway with the pipe off the breather the results are below. I am certain they didn't let the car warm up before doing the test as the results dropped 10 fold for the second fast idle test.

temporary.jpg

Edited by grazo22

You are very close - Im sure a tank of vpower and a thrash around just before the test will see you with a pass.

However, given that your HC is fine, and its the CO and O2 readings that are out I would suggest the cat isnt performing effectively enough.

Yeah the HC is fine.

I have never had a warning light come on due to the emissions. I am very certain they have been skimping on the warm up. Well the CO is very good for the environment at 0.040.

Does anyone know what would affect the llambda as it's quite a specific bracket to get it into.

My sister has been driving my car so I assume she has been putting rubbish fuel in even though I asked for v-power. I'd also bet on a large amount of pottering around.

Taken it to the garage this morning to spend a little while on the machine. I got 3 green lights for a second but it quickly changed again. I've done an engine flush, chucked some injector cleaner in, cleaned the throttle body, plugs, llambda probe to no avail.

Apparently it could be a leak in the exhaust so I will have to go over everything with a load of exhaust assembly paste :/ such a pain

I'd try a new Lambda probe, they're only about £60 and could make all the difference.

I'm in the same boat at the moment, except it's my CO that's a problem but I'm putting that down to the crack in my manifold!

I'd try a new Lambda probe, they're only about £60 and could make all the difference.

I'm in the same boat at the moment, except it's my CO that's a problem but I'm putting that down to the crack in my manifold!

I had a brand new bosch lambda sensor last year as a precaution. I've kept my old as a spare because it wasn't broken. Anywho its gone back into the garage again today for the emissions testing. Engine flush, oil change, oil filter chang, injector clean and it's still a fail. Below I've attached a vag com measuring blocks read out. Is everyone elses the same or similar?

They cleaned out the oil separator on the back of the engine and it made it a bit better. How does this separator work? is there a valve or diaphram in it? vw said it would be £75 as a replacement part, however I would only change this if it was going to make a pass, I'm not even sure if it can break as it's completely sealed and I can't see what's in it.

Exhaust joins all resealed.

WHAT CAN IT BEEEE?

WP_001619.jpg

i had this problem with my old afk engine it needed a good warm up before testing my bet is it could be a split in the front flexi there pretty hard to notice as they open up and close under load

further to looking at my car on vag com. I have compared it to my friends lupo which idles much lower and has an intake temp of 27 as oposode to mine above.

false high reading would make the car run lean and cause excess 02 to come from the exhaust. I have called vw. They have advised the only sensor on the intake is the MAP sensor. 063 906 051 at £57 or £22 from ebay.

Does anyone know where in the intake temp reading is taken from on VAG com as there isn't a temp sensor.

My lambda sensor also isn't running through it's voltage cycle so that's being a replaced

Im just as confused as you mate. From searching on here, it seems its incorporated into the MAP sensor.

However, accounting for heatsoak from the engine, the 50-60 degrees is more than possible isnt it? Had your mates car just been started up?

I have been eyeing up the fuel pump for my issue.

When we did the test on my friends lupo we had been for quite a drive to make sure it was all warmed up. I think the temp must be incorporated into the map sensor, that's qhat the chap at vw said but he wasn't 100%

I went out in my friends clio 172 last night, intake temp was about 33 which is about normal.

I had the bonnet open when I did my test so I wouldn't expect much heatsoak. My garage certainly wasn't a sauna though.

The map sensor is going to be cleaned/replaced this week so I'll let you know the results.

Out of interest what rpm does yours idle at?