Help with 1.4 engines Arosa vs Lupo MPI/8v/16v info

comdw

My girlfriend is considering buying an Arosa or Lupo 1.4 and I've been looking at the technical data for the available engines (especially on the earlier models). Information seems to vary wildly between websites, but it seems that the 1.4 Lupo engines are always faster than the Arosa ones (possible exception being the 1.4 Sport?). Is that correct?

What is the MPi engine on the Seat and how does it compare to non MPi version?

Are Lupo 1.4 engines ALWAYS 16v?

Which Arosa engines are 8v and which are 16v?

Is there a definitive list of all the available engines for both the models and the associated technical data?

Both Lupos and Arosas have 1.4 in both 8v and 16v. Same engines so should be same figures.

Arosa 1.4 8v is available from around 1997 R to present.

Arosa 1.4 16v Sport started in 2000 W plate Mk1.

Arosa Mk2 came out in 2001 on Y plate in both 1.4 16v sport and 8v.

As for the lupo i aint too sure of the dates but again both 1.4 8v and 16v are available.

im sure the lupo only came in 1.4 16valve one at 75bhp and the other at 100bhp. Dont forget the lupo TDI which is also a 1.4 but has 6 valves smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Both petrol Lupo 1.4's are 16v engines - one 75bhp (E and S models) and the other 100bhp (Sport model).

The arosa 1.4 Sport has the same 16v/100bhp as the Lupo but the other 1.4 Version is just an 8v unit (`Multi-Point` Injection) and is basically an old polo engine with @ 58bhp I think. That said Seat `re-introduced` a 1.4 in late '03(?) and I don't know what engine that one uses?

Performance figures on the Arosa probably vary as many will be shown with the `auto-box` fitted (no cost option on the early ones).

From what I recall the top speed on a 1.4 mpi with Manual Gearbox was @ 99mph and `0-60` in @ 13.4 - add about 2 seconds for the automatic version?

Lupo 75bhp = @ 109mph, `0-60` in @ 11.2, `30-70` thru gears @ 11.5.

Lupo 100bhp = @ 116mph, `0-60` in @ 10.0, `30-70` thru gears @ 10.2.

Many Arosa 1.4 mpi sellers claim that there car is identical to a 1.4 Lupo but as you can see the engine is a less powerful and older one - personally I would go for the Lupo 75bhp over the Arosa 1.4 mpi.

The @ 58bhp 1.4 8v unit did appear in the 2000 - 2002 Polo (alongside the more expensive 75bhp 1.4 16v unit) . . . but it was never used in the UK Lupo I'm 100% sure of it!

For what it's worth I have owned two 1999 T reg 1.4 Lupo's and both had the 16v (75bhp)engine.

Thanks Cliveski - thats exactly the info I was after! I'm quite surprised that the 100bhp `0-60` time is only a second faster than the 75bhp... but basically I want to steer clear of the sluggish Arosa 1.4 MPi.

I believe I'm right in thinking that when it comes to the TDI sport, there is no difference between the Arosa and Lupo versions. In fact as the Arosa is slightly lighter, the `0-60` is listed as faster for an Arosa TDI. Pity there aren't more of these around at a reasonable price...

id go for a 16v 1.4 arosa if you can get it. they are very quick look better than the lupo and are apparently a touch lighter and have a couple of improvements over the lupo. also, youll be able to pick one up much cheaper than the lupo version if you can actually find one.

If you can find an Arosa 16v Sport or TDI they are worth seeking out.

I have owned two 75bhp models and a 100bhp model too - I found the difference in power was not that noticeable in everyday driving (possibly because the torque is at lower revs in the 75bhp model) but it is noticeable if your pushing on - especially when overtaking and when in 5th gear on the motorway.

If your after a cheap 1.4 Lupo let me know as I know where there is one.

• 2 weeks later...

One more question: How can you tell the difference between a 1.4 Sport (100bhp) and a 1.4 S (75bhp)?

Are there cosmetic differences with the car, or is it just the engine thats different? Come to think about it, are there any differences between the engines apart from the chip?

SEATArosa

1.4 16V Sport 3d

General

Production: 15 Dec 2000 until 24 May 2004

Length: 3551 mm

Width: 1639 mm

Height: 1460 mm

Weight: 946 kg

Fuel Delivery: Multi point fuel injection

Transmission: Manual

Gears: 5 Speed

Performance

Engine Size: 1390 cc

Cylinders: 4

`0-60` mph: 9.7 s

Power Output: 98 bhp

Valves: 16

Torque: 128 Nm

Torque: 94 lb/ft

Top Speed: 117 mph

VolkswagenLupo

1.4 Sport 3d

General

Production: 23 Jun 1999 until now

Length: 3527 mm

Height: 1459 mm

Weight: 1005 kg

Performance

Engine Size: 1390 cc

`0-60` mph: 9.7 s

Power Output: 98 bhp

Torque: 126 Nm

Torque: 92 lb/ft

Top Speed: 116 mph

VolkswagenLupo

1.4 S 3d

General

Production: 15 Feb 1999 until now

Length: 3527 mm

Height: 1459 mm

Weight: 997 kg

Performance

Engine Size: 1390cc

`0-60` mph: 11.6s

Power Output: 73bhp

Torque: 126 Nm

Torque: 92lb/ft

Top Speed: 106mph

Differences between a standard 1.4 S and a standard 1.4 Sport:

1.4 S has discs on front, drums on rear - Sport has disc brakes `all-round` + ABS

1.4 S has a normal exhaust - Sport has a chrome centre exhaust

1.4 S has opening rear windows - Sport doesn't

1.4 S doesn't have front fog lights - Sport has

1.4 S has 13" steel wheels + full size spare (I think) - Sport has 14" alloys and a space saver.

1.4 S has manually adjusted mirrors - Sport has electric

1.4 S has 'normal' windscreen washers - Sport has heated washer jets

Seat fabrics and on door cards are different.

Sport `red-lines` at a higher rev band than the 1.4 S