BMC Fitting Guide for a 1.0L, photos now added !!

stevewp

Well guys and girls, I fitted the BMC to Hannah's Loop yesterday, and boy, what a sound!! I'm not going to claim massive performance increases, but it definately loads more responsive and the sound alone makes it worth it.

One thing I will say is that if you're thinking of fitting one to a 1.0L, see if you can get hold of just the filter itself, cos all the rest is useless (due to the TB being in a completely different place to the GTi TB and the TB having a different inlet diameter too).

You'll have to buy a 90 degree reducing silicon hose elbow (70mm to 50mm), which I got from SFS Performance (01582 488040) who sent it out that day and charged me £20+vat & £3.50 delivery. I had a quote from Raceparts (01491 822000) for £16.50 but the lead time was 3 weeks, so I paid the extra to SFS to get it quicker.

You then need to cut 45mm off the 50mm diameter end to get the filter sitting at a good height, and fashion a bracket as per the rather `heath-robinson` effort I made, to provide some steadying for the filter itself.

Then I got a universal Pipercross `cold-air` feed (ie some 75mm ducting with a pair of ram pips, of which only one will be used) which goes from the inlet to the BMC to a spot just to the right of the grill where there's a fairly good feed of cold air.

Then there's a K&N `clamp-on` crankcase breather filter to stop those noxious fumes floating around, and I'm ignoring the warm air feed off the front of the exhaust manifold (I may even take that whole shield off).

The whole job cost me £120 ish (I got the filter for £50), so it's alot cheaper than the full kit, even with the group buy.

All I can say is GET IT DONE !!!! bmc_front.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

bmc_left.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

bmc_right.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

bmc_closeup.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

It is fairly close to the light, and not quite where I wanted it to go. There's a spot about 2 inches towards the centre of the grill from where it is now that I wanted to put it, but because the ram is so big (I wanted to keep the inlet duct as big as I could) there's no good way of mounting it there.

I reckon it's about as good as the original feed, so I'm not too disappointed

Absolutely right, the lifters are standard. May cut a hole, but not convinced it'll make too much difference (although time will tell), and I've made sure it can all go back to standard without buying any new bits, should the desire arise.

Performance gains? Really very little to be honest. It may have a tiny bit more poke, but nothing very noticable. The main difference is the responsiveness - it reacts to throttle change so much quicker, so ultimately is definately a bit quicker, despite the lack of power gains.

With regards Paul's comment about turning it round etc (which you put on the 'How to' thread), it won't fit properly the other way. The photo's don't do this problem justice, but I really wanted to take it the other way because the air feed is masses better on that side, but it just isn't possible without really buggering about with things.

I know, I know, 3 posts in a row....very bad form. Been up for 15 hours so far and have got to work the next 10, so not firing on all cylinders at the mo.

`G-man`, no exhaust or anything I'm afraid. Thinking about it, but don't think I can be bothered for a while. I'm not prepared to just put a new back box on. If I do it, it's a full system or nothing, and I'm not gonna fork out for a full system for some time. This though is the limiting factor right now. That and it having a smaller engine than my bike!! Lol

Trust me, I looked real hard at it fitting there, and just wasn't happy. Plus, the feed I've got is pretty good.

was looking at doing something along these lines to my arosa. when i took the big engine cover off there were two rubber hoses connected to it on the right hand side (as you stand in front of the car). are these the "warm air feed off the front of the exhaust manifold" you mentioned? is it fine to just leave these not connected to anything?

The cover should connect straight onto the throttle body, then have one feed from a heat deflector around the exhaust manifold (on the Lupo this is another direct feed, rather than being a hose and can be seen in the first three photos underneath the HT leads) and then there's a hose coming up from the crankcase, which is the crankcase breather pipe. This is what I've fitted a K&N filter to, to stop nasty fumes floating around too much.

As for the `hot-air` feed, yeah, I wouldn't worry at all about that. I may even take the heat deflector off sometime to tidy it all up.