Rattle cans

Kieranbolton

Hello guys, i have a spare bit of cash, and im taking my dash out the car anyway to fit a center locking kit, so i was wondering, how hard isit to rattle can the dash T piece, clocks and vents? i want them in candy white? ive never painted plastic before, so how long does it last roughly? i know i need the obvious, Primer, Paint and Laquer, but can you acheive a decent result if you take your time? Also how many cans do you need to complete it?

Kieran

If you do decent prep work it can look good. Good sand down, and a GOOD degrease/clean, hot, soapy water and a a good scrub works for me.

I'm currently doing dash parts and other bits on my car and I started on friday and I think I'll need a couple more days to finish. It the waiting between the primer, colour and clear that takes the longest. You should really wait a overnight after applying primer befire the colour and then 24 hours before the clear. If you put the clear on too soon the propelants from the colour seep through the clear and give you a crazy paving / bubble finish.

I go for two cans of colour, so you know you have enough.

Basic run down of what you need to do:

Sand down to key up the surface

Wash to get rid of dust and grease

Primer, wait 15-20 mins

Second coat of primer. (You want to apply a couple of thin coats, you dont realy want full coverage first coat, this help prevent runs)

Wait over night

Key up primer with wet/dry to giev the colour a good grip

First coat colour, again lots of thin coats are better than one thick, wait 15-20 mins

Second coat, wait 15-20 mins, repeat until good coverage.

Wait atleast 24 hours before applying clear.

Key up before clear

Same process for the clear, 3/4 thin coats.

Polish up after 24 hours.

Atleast this is what works for me and has given decent results.

Cheers dead metal, so you recon 2-3 cans of the Candy white paint ? and 2 cans of primer or something?

Also how did you remove the drivers side heater control, i cannot get mine to come out, i can push the nob in but cannot turn anticlockwise :(

Kieran

only thing id say is once youv done the primer, sand it with wet fine grade wet n dry, you want your primer as smoothe as youd expect your paint to be, and then once you do your paint wet sand that down too, basically before you laquer it you want your paint to be as smooth as possible, this will give a nice shine to it.

Hello guys and girls :)

Here's my paint list so far, can you recomend any better or is this stuff okay to use ?

Primer : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-X-500ML-SPRAY-PAINT-BLACK-WHITE-GREY-RED-GLOSS-PRIMER-/310173535904?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item4837c88ea0

Laquer : http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c62dbbd9c

Paint im going to get from Halfords :)

Kieran

Edited by Kieranbolton

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno if this was bad prep, but probably was, so here's an example of what can happen. Mine had been painted before I bought it, and had pitted/reacted. Sanded them back, primed, started again and got the same result.

DSC01383.jpg

Giving them one more shot in satin black by sanding right back to the plastic and working the layers on from there, fingers crossed. :)

Like above though, some people got sweet results, Arosa vents are harder 'cause of the little round vents being a different colour and plastic to the T-shaped unit. -_-

Do they have clear coat on them? If so, thats the sort of thing that happens when the clear is applied too soon. The paint is still drying and the propelants try to evaporate through the clear.

If no clear, sand it down and give them a really good wash, hot water and washing up liquid worked for me.

do the vents and center console bit just pop out or do you need to take the whole lot and the dash out to get them out

torque screws for the main T section and the underside of the drivers-side vent. left side prises out and the heating control surround just pulls out mate

Anyone got any ideas how to hold down the 't' bit of the T section because I've sprayed mine now but it keeps bending up :/

Glue? Double sided tape? or spray adehsave?

Use this : http://www.cooksonhardware.com/product.php/site/froogle/sn/10STI004

Spray 1 1/2 of it on the dash and the other 1/2 on the T bit, and stick together, when they go together it will bond i should think?

Let me know how you get on :)

Kieran

• 5 months later...