Random sticky brakes

When I bought my car I was advised the brakes were seizing, the car was only doing 3k a year at the time. Got new discs and pads, garage said they'd put copper grease in one caliper as a bit stiff.

They said they couldn't see them seizing. After a drive and red hot brakes took it back to them and they said couldn't see anything wrong. Try an MOT garage that had brake rollers. Suggested replacing brake master cylinder.

Well the MOT was due so put it in, mentioned the brakes, and it sailed through :-/

So the current situation is that if the car sits a few days then when I'm driving I get a bit of vibration through the steering wheel and the brake pedal goes rock hard. But then it eases off again.

Where would you start trouble shooting this?

Sadly for me new calipers or new brake master ain't gonna be cheap or easy.

have you thought about Second hand Parts? I know it seems a bit risky, but sometimes you get a bargain on a part that was in perfect working order, ive seen Lupo brake master Cylinders on eBay for about £30. Might be worth messaging Fattassss on here im sure he might have some parts in good order. it might also be worth getting your calipers stripped down and rebuilt with all new seals and dust boots.

The master cylinder is the metal thing underneath the fluid res it bolts onto the servo :)

No need to take the engine out, just disconnect lines, and the Master cylinder from the servo.

obviously this will take some time to bleed out all air bubbles as the source of fluid is being removed.

the big black thing is to do with the vacuum assistance with the brakes

My rears were doing something similar. I got a set of replacement caliper seals from biggred.co.uk and my tame mechanic reconned the existing calipers for me. The company will also strip and recon your existing ones for you, and even paint them nice colours if you wish :)

Got mine sorted, new caliper did the trick.

But as the discs were almost down to minimum thickness, I had new discs fitted too.

Aside the caliper, Part of my problem was the wrong discs had been fitted or skimmed too much as they were only 18mm thick !!

So, 4 discs, pads & a new calliper later, I'm back running.

All the parts fitted were genuine vw, no pattern crap. The front disc fitted are totally different to those that were on it, vented hubs now too.

yea, it was a bit, £400 fitted inc new brake fluid, but I'm up/down the M1 every day & need to stop fast sometimes due to the idiots who also use it.

Also when I come to sell her in the summer I dont want somebody trying to knock money off as I had none OE disc's fitted to save £20.

You'd be supprised how little difference there is in the pricing.

Edited by Jace_b