Cam belt GTI

Hello folks. Have done a search but havin' trouble finding a definitive answer, so forgive me if a repeat question but when should you change a cambelt on a GTI, and how much, ballpark, should it cost?

Many thanks

i am giong to have my cambelt and all the tensioners done every 30k, mainly due to the tensioner's habit of breaking!!!!

I had mine done at 50k.

No matter what the service book says its not good to let it go as far as 80k!! Audis have a habit of breaking early so not going to chance it. WIll do mine again at 80k....

Its not cheap at a dealer - 3 hours labour if i remember right, plus parts which are about 30 quid (?) so poss about 300 - 350 inc VAT. Half that at an independent

parts are a bit more than that!! two belts, 2 tensioners and an idler, comes to about £135 retail!! yet another case of "i'm glad i work for vw!"

as far as i know, all gti's have two belts!! the older afh engine in a polo 1.4 16v uses a belt and a chain, although with the habit of belts snapping and tensioners breaking up, i think they should have stuck to the tried and tested (and reliable) chain system.

yer gti does have 2 belts, one does the water pump and inlet cam i think and the other is propr small, it does the exhaust cam and the inlet cam!

i recon i could do belt in 2 hour's max!!

it's just the tensioner is abit of a pig to get right!!

When I had both my cambelts changed and the head work done I had the steel tensioners fitted as VW pointed out the standard (plastic/nylon/whatever) tensioners have a known history of failing.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, just got back from the garage having had belts etc. replaced, and gotta say after looking at them, even after 70k miles there's not a lot wrong with the bits they took off. IMO they would have lasted quite a lot longer...

(Moans, mutters and grumbles into pint) sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

But equally it might have snapped if you'd driven it another 5 miles.

It's a gamble - you pay a (relatively) small amount of money often enough that the cambelt never gets to the point where it breaks and you have to pay a large amount of money.

In the words of budweiser; true, true. Sods law dictates that had I not coughed the requisite reddies, the whole thing would have exploded in a shower of hot cogs. I think I just wanted a moan. :wink:

To be fair, the whole lot was done for £350, including a new water pump. I think the parts cost about £`150-170` so another £150 for three hours work or so ain't all bad. I'll get me coat...