My Lupo GTI is burning oil!

KelloSimmo

I think you may have miss typed... Most cars burn fuel :tongueout: How many miles has the car covered? The valve guides and stem seals will most likely need replacing.. In my experience with this engine and the sport engine the valve guides seem to wear meaning the valves have play in the guide. The stem seals go hard so they need replacing. Other than that my bet would be piston rings.. All of these parts are fairly cheep it is just the cost of labour if you are not able to carry out the work yourself..

Mike

I would not know what was dirt and unburnt oil if i am honest with you!

Between 100-110 thousand miles on the clock. How can i see if these need replacing? Take it to a mechanic and get him to check? I have a friend in the biz who can do my labour cheap if it's not a time consuming job. How much we talking for part? Hopefully these are not parts i can only obtain from Volkswagen itself - have been ripped off before!

PS Yes i miss typed :P

To be honest - I have no idea. I picked it up from a petrol station just to put in before the car conked out completely. Cost me about 12 quid for a litre. What is the optimum oil for a Lupo GTI? I see different recommendations everywhere. Once i know i can get an oil and filter change and put some decent oil in it! :)

I would not know what was dirt and unburnt oil if i am honest with you!

Between 100-110 thousand miles on the clock. How can i see if these need replacing? Take it to a mechanic and get him to check? I have a friend in the biz who can do my labour cheap if it's not a time consuming job. How much we talking for part? Hopefully these are not parts i can only obtain from Volkswagen itself - have been ripped off before!

PS Yes i miss typed :P

Personally if stripping the engine down i would replace the following; Valve stem seals, Valve guides, piston rings & all new gaskets.. Whilst apart you may as well do the whole lot.. If your cambelt is anywhere near due i would replace that and the waterpump too whilst its off.. For the first parts listed your looking at around £200 and the cambelt & waterpump would be about £200 depending on whether you go genuine or pattern. But like Rich said it may be worth cahnging the oil and filter first but from your description it would be a miricle if it solved the problem for any ammount of time.

Mike