GOD Damn Gearbox....

Sounds a bit obvious but have you pulled up the gaitor to see if you can see any worn link or mechanism?? Thought it was a box mount to start off with till you started fiddling with your knob.

Sounds a bit obvious but have you pulled up the gaitor to see if you can see any worn link or mechanism?? Thought it was a box mount to start off with till you started fiddling with your knob.

Yeah pete, that was the first thing I did. Cant see anything at all... sounds like a right bag of nails! If you listen closely too, you can hear my starter motor i think? Is this a common problem on vw's as my missus' brothers GTi does it.

Starter motors can go on any car really buddy so no big issue renewing/reconning it. It'd be interesting to see it do it with the gaitor off in good light Liam really, must be something linkage related with the sound disappearing like that.

Starter motors can go on any car really buddy so no big issue renewing/reconning it. It'd be interesting to see it do it with the gaitor off in good light Liam really, must be something linkage related with the sound disappearing like that.

I'll get a video tomorrow with the gaiter off and show you that...

man i have to tip my hat to you liam, some times you do get some really crap descriptions of problems but thats a stroke of genius!

Well you know what they say, a picture speaks a thousand words and all that... videos speak a million :) Plus people can hear the sound its making too!

My tdi does this occasionally, and like yours if you move it slightly it goes away, it is annoying though, and doesn't sound too healthy. I've got no other gearbox problems what so ever so might just be a random noise, just thought id let you know you're not alone :D.

Edited by jpp19

Liam can I ask a question. What is the part your actually touching? Is it reverse? The reason being is (1) it gets louder and more defined when yout pushing further away from the top and (2) when u push gear stick anyway it stops! In my opinion it's clearly summat to do with what you are pressing/moving! If you figure out what gear that is then your so much closer! Mad yes! but could it be thrust release bearing and the noise is transferring? I'm not a mechanic or anywhere near but you have identified where it's coming from so in my opinion work back from there!

Gareth

Is the sound coming from inside the actual gearbox, or somewhere else. Id be checking and resetting the linkages first off.

Does the clutch affect the noise? Is it noisy in gear when accelerating/coasting?

Edited by Defcon5

Hi lads, I really have no idea what that part is I'm touching... Guessing that is the start of the rod? It seems that the white plastic has worn away underneath it. Pressing the clutch in makes no difference to the noise. As you can see in the video, when I push it away from the stick the noise stops, soon as I move the stick it moves that arm and noise starts again. I don't know what that white thing is called that's holding the heartsick in place. Only way I can think it works is kind of a ball and socket joint, not took it apart to confirm. Another job to add to my list this weekend. Don't think I'll get 5 to myself :(

Edit*

How do I reset the linkages defcon? Never heard of it? Is it the procedure where you line up holes on gearstick and on gearbox and twist something?

Edited by Liam-R

It looks to me like the bushing/moulding is worn around the shift arm mechanism, it'd be worthwhile getting someone to check at the gearbox end for play and noise whilst you work you're magic on the stick. If it were me I'd be tempted to pop the arm off, stick some electric tape around that white shaft and put the arm back on and see if that cures it.

Regarding your starter motor noise, many VW's suffer from this and it's caused by the bush in the gearbox that supports the starter pinion wearing. The motor itself is fine, it just makes an annoying screetch as the pinion disengages. I can't say for sure if TDi starters are the same as petrol ones though. Diesels sometimes use a beefier, self-supporting starter motor.

It looks to me like the bushing/moulding is worn around the shift arm mechanism, it'd be worthwhile getting someone to check at the gearbox end for play and noise whilst you work you're magic on the stick. If it were me I'd be tempted to pop the arm off, stick some electric tape around that white shaft and put the arm back on and see if that cures it.

you read my mind! Going to get my dad to have a look at it whilst i change my clutch this weekend! More work!!!! :( Thought these VW's had amazing build quality lol nothing but problems so far :(