GTi Conversion

GaryLupo

Hey, Nedding a bit advice, rescently blow the engine in my 1.4 16v lupo, been looking all over for a replacement engine but cant find anything worth buying, found plenty GTi engines tho.... whats invloved in fitting a GTi engine into a 1.4 shell?? are there any major complications or difficulties i should be made aware of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially anyone who has already done something similar if not the same swap??

Cheerz!

Cheerz, ill have a look on the polo forum see if anyone has any ideas, the only difficulty ive predicted is that the battery in a GTi is in the boot, which to me suggests the engine must need that wee bit more room than the 1.4, ill need to see how easy a proble this is to overcome...

Stick around on here as there's a few people done it so will most likely be along with tips and advice.

You can get a battery relocation kit to move the battery to the boot.

The battery is in the boot for weight distribution, also because it fouls the shifter tower of the 02T box if you leave it in the engine bay.

The polo engine uses crappy shift so there's no mech tower to get in the way.

The loop GTI also uses it's own special power steering pipe so that it doesn't go over the box.

If you use a loop or a polo, either way you'll need a full car to do it properly.

They're both kinda easy but the loop engine is definately more involved on switching things, the polo is slightly more complicated with regards to wiring

Your choice.

the lupo gti Engine & 6 speed box wont fit in a non gti, it has a different sub frame, the suspension turrets are slightly different & the lupo gti lump sits in at an angle..... I couldn't have dreamt that up, i just couldn't..... im sure it didnt fit hence why i got the polo gti lump & box.....

The loop engine does sit at an angle, but that's the mounts.

Subframes do bolt off. . . . How are the suspension turrets different?

Hence why I said that he'd need the entire car. :P