Another problem!!! EPC light on dash, any ideas???

ESP?

This has happened to a couple of people lately - it's Electronic Stability Programme, but your car doesn't have it so it's a bit strange! They only get it on the continent.

Either way, it's best to get it seen to if it doesn't go away.

QUOTE(bossjohnc)
ESP?

This has happened to a couple of people lately - it's Electronic Stability Programme, but your car doesn't have it so it's a bit strange! They only get it on the continent.

Either way, it's best to get it seen to if it doesn't go away.

Woops!

I mean EPC!

I've noticed that the ride in my car has been slightly choppy of late....this has gotta be related!!!

EPC is electronic pedal control. The two most likely things are that either the brake or the clutch switch are broken, so are either not reading at all, or are stuck on.

Cheap fix, I think they're pretty easy to change yourself, or if you're still under warranty the dealer will have no problem diagnosing the fault. You need to read the fault code off the ECU to know what the problem is for sure though - the brake/clutch switches are by far the most common cause, but there are other possibilities.

QUOTE(snoopstah)
Sounds like it could be the brake switch - causes the engine to reduce power if it thinks it's on...

Under warranty?

It is almost as if I'm tapping the brake....it just occasional fluctuates.....there's no engine knocking or noises from it....sounds fine....but have definitely noticed a difference and the the light appeared laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

No, not under warranty...bummer sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Also, if it is the switch it's not a big job - I'd be annoyed if VW charged me more than an hour's labour for the work.

Can you get someone to follow you and see if your brake lights flicker?

QUOTE(snoopstah)
Also, if it is the switch it's not a big job - I'd be annoyed if VW charged me more than an hour's labour for the work.

Can you get someone to follow you and see if your brake lights flicker?

I guess so........on my way home tonight I'll know for sure, when I get rear ended by a bus! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Dunno if this helps but I had the same light come up on my 2003 Polo. I was fitting a new stereo and cleverly managed to short a fuse, losing the stereo power. As I'd lost the handbook I took the brilliant approach of just pulling out all the fuses that I thought it might be (based on that little diagram you get in the fuse compartment) until I found the one that had gone. I finally found it, replaced it and stereo worked again but I got the warning light you got, presumably because I'd lost power to some component or other whilst yanking them all out.

VW assist turned the warning light off again in about 3 secs with their plug in box, guy said it was just a weird error in the log and they often come on. So maybe you're lights on for a similar reason, just a momentary loss of power due to a fuse blowing or similar?