My Turtle Wax Black Box experience

puggled

I decided to try Black Box as the wife and I both have black cars, they are both about 8 years old and both a bit tired.

I've never detailed a car before, usually just use the local hot foam place for a wash and wax, so this was all new to me and I rather stupidly thought I'd do the two cars at the same time.

4 hours later and a lot of aching muscles I was finished!

Washed both cars, went over with a clay bar, rinsed then used the black box. You put on a pre wax then wash off with the detail spray, then apply the wax and buff off with the detail spray.

I was impressed at how much a clay bar can take off.

The pre wax, wax and detail spray are all black tinted so I wore gloves. Good idea, they were stained black at the end!

I was very impressed with how it brought up the two cars and disguised minor scratches.

DSC00575.JPG

My roof done the Punto waiting to be buffed

DSC00576.JPG

Shiny quarter panel

DSC00577.JPG

Gleaming

Next morning I came out and found umpteen beasties had embedded themselves on the roof :(

DSC00580.JPG

You can see the small surface scratches in this shot that have been disguised.

Can anyone suggest something to put over the top of the wax to give it a bit more longevity and stop bugs sticking to it when it gets hot? It is carnuba based.

Also I'm thinking with the price and time taken that once it is finished I'll try poorboys black hole instead.

I've probably enough product left over to do 3 more applications. Most people have said that they can get 3 applications from the pack, but I guess with the Lupo being so wee 5 is fine.

Try applying the wax in a thinner film. Failing that, maybe put a layer of Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection on as a final coat - its a liquid and is a hard finish.

Black hole is a glaze, so you will need to apply a wax/sealant over the top of it (I use nattys Blue personally)

Next time you wash it, just wash it then use the spray detailer. You wont need to go the whole hog every time.

As long as the paint was clean before you applied the stuff you will be fine - I always used to put too much product on, its suprising how little you need sometimes

hey. . .to get rid of minor scratches you may have to take a deep breath and use 1500 -2000 stage grit paper, lots of soapy water and gently rub the scratch, if you have a dual action sander like me then its considerably easier, then go back over with a compund you will know where to apply it as the paint where you have carefully rubbed will be matt/dull, a machine polisher will make this easier, best to take your time, but a the combination of sander and polisher can work miracles.

So less is more? Like I said first time trying this myself.

I was really impressed with how it restored the finish but worried it'll just come off at next wash!

Not so much less is more, but if you think about it. Theres onto a small layer of wax touching the paint, so no need to layer it on as it wont be touching the paint ;)

Blackhole as your first stage to remove minor swirls, follow by a light layer of Autoglym super resin then for a final wax like defcon said, poorboys nattys paste.

When it comes to cleaning next time, use the recommended amount of shampoo the bottle says, maybe even a bit less, as too much shampoo will rip the wax off ;)

The OP is clearly a beginner to the world of detailing, I dont think telling him to use sandpaper is a good idea!

i didnt recommend sandpaper. . either 1500 - 2000 grit paper on a DA would be super mild approach, but its a personal preference

Thanks guys :-)

I'm not going to do anything with the paintwork on either car until after winter, just wanted to tidy them both up. There are a few bits that wet and dry might sort out, but to be honest I think it needs a wee spray over. I got quoted £1600 for a full respray so that isn't really viable.