Heater blower

Par

Picked up a 52 plate Arosa a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately the heater only operates on switch position 4!

So I have the choice of OFF or ON full blast (must be a digital system :)), I have just taken the switch unit out and checked it over and it all seems to work as it should. Therefore unless the fault is in the cabling which appears to be quite heavy duty I am thinking it is the blower unit which is at fault.

Are there any other things to check and is there any guide to changing the blower unit, I assume it is right behind the dash and will involve a lot of swear words and losing skin from my knuckles!

Picked up a 52 plate Arosa a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately the heater only operates on switch position 4!

So I have the choice of OFF or ON full blast (must be a digital system :)), I have just taken the switch unit out and checked it over and it all seems to work as it should. Therefore unless the fault is in the cabling which appears to be quite heavy duty I am thinking it is the blower unit which is at fault.

Are there any other things to check and is there any guide to changing the blower unit, I assume it is right behind the dash and will involve a lot of swear words and losing skin from my knuckles!

Speak to your local dealer ... apparently its a very common VW group problem ... £37 with the usual 2 yr warranty for the genuine Heater Resistor ... imho its not worth buying a 2nd hand unit for £15-20 as that'll prob blow ... and its easy enough to fit yourself too! : Bayonet fitting in the top of the heater 'Trunking' behind the glove box.

Edited by aro'sport

• 3 weeks later...

It was the resistor pack that had went, swapped it today and now have all 4 fan speeds, a lot easier job than changing the whole blower unit!

Glad I checked on here first - thanks for the help :thumbup: