Intermittent hesitation in low gear (pulling away)

Ello....!

Right, have 2001 Lupo GTI, recently it's developed a new intermittent fault whereby no matter whether the engine's cold or hot, I go to pull away at low speeds in second/third and it hesitates just for a moment. Annoyingly, it doesn't do it every time or when I stop and start and it's only subtle (not like a kangarooing motion!). It's only been doing this since the car's been sitting for a while and not used everyday. However, a long run didn't make any difference.

Not sure where to start on this one! Has anyone else experienced the same? BTW, the pedal box was replaced under warranty when I bought the car six years ago...

The car is serviced every year without fail and sparkplugs changed, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter.

Cheers!

What was wrong with the pedalbox?

Was told it was a known fault by the VW garage I bought the car from so they did the replacement automatically... it wasn't needed though as the fault at the time turned out to be a split HT lead :shifty:

Thanks for the advice to this current problem!

My GTI used to do exactly this too!

It hapenned completely out of the blue and only really did it once or twice.

I changed the plugs and leads and cleaned out the throttle body and it stopped, atlhough i'm not sure if that cured it, or if it just stopped of it's own accord...?

I sometimes 'think' i feel it doing it when pulling off, but i think it's in my head! Lol

Edited by Cooper_GTI

My GTI used to do exactly this too!

It hapenned completely out of the blue and only really did it once or twice.

I changed the plugs and leads and cleaned out the throttle body and it stopped, atlhough i'm not sure if that cured it, or if it just stopped of it's own accord...?

I sometimes 'think' i feel it doing it when pulling off, but i think it's in my head! Lol

I'm going to check all plugs/leads this weekend and I've already tried some Redex in a full tank of 99 Octane, so hopefully doing all this will solve the annoying problem! Well, that's the cheapest option anyhow... !

Aha! Think I got to the bottom of it yesterday; all HT leads were fine, so I took the plugs off the ends of the coilpack and found each one inside had corrosion. So cleaned these up properly and used a bit of WD40 and so far so good... fingers crossed. :thumbsup:

Hilarious that the VW dealer I bought the car from changed the pedalbox then under warranty years ago when I first bought the car if its not a known fault for a GTI. To be honest, that about sums up the monkeys that worked there...they went bust soon after...