Anyone driven a Clio R27 or 200?

bantam1

Yes... Drove an R27. Great laugh when u rev the arse off it but I ended up buyin the R26 megane and I havnt looked back! All about the boost, vroom-TSCH!

Yes... Drove an R27. Great laugh when u rev the arse off it but I ended up buyin the R26 megane and I havnt looked back! All about the boost, vroom-TSCH!

Have driven a couple of R26s. Great suspension but i imagine the clios are more chuckable?

Mate had a 197 but quickly sold for a R26. Clio fell a[art at 5 months old! He loved R26 in comparison. I drove both. Clio was noticable more chuckable, generally responded quicker and generally everything you would imagine from a slightly small car. Was less planted on brakes and made back end very unstable. Handled very well for FWD, however a totally standard one I could get type to rub arches. lol

Mate had a 197 but quickly sold for a R26. Clio fell a[art at 5 months old! He loved R26 in comparison. I drove both. Clio was noticable more chuckable, generally responded quicker and generally everything you would imagine from a slightly small car. Was less planted on brakes and made back end very unstable. Handled very well for FWD, however a totally standard one I could get type to rub arches. lol

Did the 197 have the cup suspension?

200 is the better car, but obviously you can pick a top spec 197 up for much less money! Very capable car from standard, perfect for a track day car. Megane also handles very well and has the plus thats a lot more tuneable.

I doubt you can get a better handling car straight out the box really.

I know - major differences seem to be uprated (stiffer) cup suspension, quicker steering rack, slightly more low end torque, and better gearchange. BUT a lot of owners seem to be selling up the cup cars and lots of reports of these being very harsh. A good F1 197 can be had for 8-8.5kish. A good 200 is looking at 11.5-12.5k. I suppose in a year's time the 200s will be where the 197s are now.

I know the only way to tell is test drive. But if i like, as i suspect i will, that will lead to bad things financially!

Edited by bantam1

All depends on budget... If u can afford an R26 over an R27 then it's the logical way to go! The recaros are fantastic and the diff is very confidence inspiring. Iv thrown the megane into a few bends at silly speed and it's never given me too much drama! The megane rolls slightly more than the Clio (if u get the cup) in the bends but it's hardly noticeable.

All depends on budget... If u can afford an R26 over an R27 then it's the logical way to go! The recaros are fantastic and the diff is very confidence inspiring. Iv thrown the megane into a few bends at silly speed and it's never given me too much drama! The megane rolls slightly more than the Clio (if u get the cup) in the bends but it's hardly noticeable.

I'm just mulling at the moment. This is our second car (we have a diesel vrs for motorway slogs) and i need to get my fun fix somewhere. At the moment the gti is that.

Have always wanted a renaultsport but would need to sell the gti to fund it.

The reason i'm thinking of the clio rather than megane is that we use the car a lot around town and so wanted something smaller for that as well, rather than an outright powerful hot hatch.

Big problem in this is that i love the gti, and my other half loves it even more. I'd have to make a very good case for getting rid. The last car i sold that she also loved (8L S3) i was told not to tell her when it was going. It was only the morning after when she asked where i'd parked it that the penny dropped. I still haven't been forgiven for that and it was rubbed in a little more when our car overtook us on the motorway a few weeks later!

Is the clio good enough to risk all that?

I had a 200 Cup before I got my Lupo 1.4 sport. Hardcore car in terms of engine and chassis, but you pay the price for lack of extra's.

Getting a top spec 197 is probably the better option as you can get xenon's etc.

Can i ask why the change to the Lupo then, as i'd be going the opposite way? What was the 200 Cup like to live with (not extras but ride etc.)?

Yeah the top photo shows the halogen projector lenses used with the adaptive cornering lights, and the second photo is an aftermarket HID kit fitted in one.

You cannot get them with xenons from the factory.

I'm just mulling at the moment. This is our second car (we have a diesel vrs for motorway slogs) and i need to get my fun fix somewhere. At the moment the gti is that.

Have always wanted a renaultsport but would need to sell the gti to fund it.

The reason i'm thinking of the clio rather than megane is that we use the car a lot around town and so wanted something smaller for that as well, rather than an outright powerful hot hatch.

Big problem in this is that i love the gti, and my other half loves it even more. I'd have to make a very good case for getting rid. The last car i sold that she also loved (8L S3) i was told not to tell her when it was going. It was only the morning after when she asked where i'd parked it that the penny dropped. I still haven't been forgiven for that and it was rubbed in a little more when our car overtook us on the motorway a few weeks later!

Is the clio good enough to risk all that?

It'll definately make the lupo pale in comparison but it's a hell of alot of money for what isn't really a necessity! Looking at it in black and White, if you want to sell the lupo for something better you certainly won't be disappointed.

And also the lupo definately won't be overtaking you anywhere if you're in a renaultsport lol!

I disagree - recovery trucks are limited to 56mph :lol:

that's such an outdated view lol. Regular renaults may fall to bits but renaultsports are made in an entirely different factory, to much higher standards!

that's such an outdated view lol. Regular renaults may fall to bits but renaultsports are made in an entirely different factory, to much higher standards!

NO ITS NOT!

My mate had a 197 and the problems were:

Trim panels discoloured or fell off - Not a problem, but bad!

Air Con never worked and rattled if you tryed to use it

Front suspension collasped (totaly new front setup)

Gearbox and Clutch lunched its self (Total new box from a specalist)

Front passenger seat came off mountings (His mrs nearly killed him)

This was a totaly standard 197!

He then had a R26 (god knows why) - This was SOOO much better. Still that sold and now has a Copper S

Edited by Bikerz

NO ITS NOT!

My mate had a 197 and the problems were:

Trim panels discoloured or fell off - Not a problem, but bad!

Air Con never worked and rattled if you tryed to use it

Front suspension collasped (totaly new front setup)

Gearbox and Clutch lunched its self (Total new box from a specalist)

Front passenger seat came off mountings (His mrs nearly killed him)

This was a totaly standard 197!

He then had a R26 (god knows why) - This was SOOO much better. Still that sold and now has a Copper S

Lol that's one example mate... Are u gonna try and tell me that no lupo has ever had it's fair share of problems? My GTi was absolute toss on the reliability front compared to my R26!

• 2 weeks later...