thinkibg of making some dust caps....

Lol this site cracks me up so much! If someone asks a question and I know the answer I tell them....

What's the point in this site being here if everytime someone asks a question they get told t Google it

beacuase its a question thats not really lupo based and one that i presume no one will know off the top of their thread, in order for someone to answer this for you they would have to measure it themselves, and tbh that is something you shoulda done yourself it would have been quicker that you posting up and waiting lazily for a reply

Does anyone know the width and thread of a standard dust cap?

Couple of sites suggest that it is 0.305 in OD, thread root diameter 0.271 in x 32 tpi (or 7.7 mm OD, thread root diameter is 6.9 mm x 0.794 mm pitch in new money).

so strictly it is a 0.307 x 32, but you may get away with 5/16 x 32, although one machinists website suggests that 5/16 x 30 works better. would try it out by cutting a couple of bits of scrap first...

As mentioned here, you could use a set of thread gauges and a decent caliper to check, seems to be imperial standard though. will check my zeus book and or thread standard at work on tues.

Durb.

Wasn't expecting anyone to measure it them selves, I knew someone on here would know since people have done it before, but what ever mate I'm gona stop asking / answering questions on here as I was horribly mistaken into thinking that's what an owners club forum was for.

Get some plastic dust caps, measure the OD and then get a drill bit a fraction bigger.

Drillt he items and bostick the plastic caps in the hole.

Getting hold of a tap of those dimensions will be awkward at best, i used to work in a place that had a machine shop and they only ever had one i could borrow.

The type of valve and thread is called schrader btw and is the dimensions as mentioned above by another member.

Get some plastic dust caps, measure the OD and then get a drill bit a fraction bigger.

Drillt he items and bostick the plastic caps in the hole.

Getting hold of a tap of those dimensions will be awkward at best, i used to work in a place that had a machine shop and they only ever had one i could borrow.

The type of valve and thread is called schrader btw and is the dimensions as mentioned above by another member.

Was thinking that too - would probably use something a bit more butch than bostick though.

Damn I looked on here for another thread that was going to be deleted.... no such luck nevermind.

unless.... I have this dustcap making company which is a sure fireway of making £10million in 7 days easy if anyone wants a boot handle?

Wasn't expecting anyone to measure it them selves, I knew someone on here would know since people have done it before, but what ever mate I'm gona stop asking / answering questions on here as I was horribly mistaken into thinking that's what an owners club forum was for.

if you look he went and googled it for you, something you could easily have done yourself

and i knew there are people who maade them but theyre not regualar posters who will come search for your thread

Edited by jamiea7x

If all else fails I think I have some naff Dice dustcaps from a fastcar mag (had a VW on the front) you could pull the thread out of them if you had a specific project? and then uhu them in lol

scotty_82 - true, thick cyno would probably take it up quite nicely! just so used to specifying silly stuff at work....

Jamiea7x - Yes I did google it, but if you are used to metric coarse thread specs then when someone quotes 0.307" x 32 as a thread things can get confusing!! Will still have a quick look at the standards at work to see if there is a prefered size any closer than 5/16 (for my own interest as much as anything).

I think that misterdave and scotty_82 have put forward the most sensible solution though!

what I meant is you can take them apart and have the threads if you don't want to mess yours up? I won't charge you for them lol. think of it as a friendly gesture to your business venture lol.

You cant remove threads (Helicoils excluded) threads are cut into something using a tap or die depending on the application.

Have the threads ???

Think he means to have the threaded insert out and bond it into the new item.

Have not forgotten this - will grab my threads crib file from work tomorrow.

Durb

Edited by durb