coilovers or springs?

Nathansmith_93

u can always get fixed suspension kits for less than coilies - new dampners and lowering springs, then u get the best of both worlds, a little sensible lowness, and good handling and ride quality.

I personally went for ap coils to achieve the perfect "factory" ride height and handling that i assume u are trying to achieve, (so i could adjust it to get it mm perfect, with springs you cant make the tiny tweaks that you will probably want in the end). Dont forget to include alignment costs for after u fit springs/coils.

At my height, i only scrape the highest speedbumps if i hit them too quickly. Handling feels like a factory "sport pack" upgrade.

Hope this helps!

Edited by BEP51

Mine have lasted 3 years.

Buy cheap.... Save money...? Lol

the ones that came on my old car were about a year old and busted to buggery if the previous owner had bought decent ones i wouldn't have had to buy any :)

the ones that came on my old car were about a year old and busted to buggery if the previous owner had bought decent ones i wouldn't have had to buy any :)

Ha must have hit them with a hammer before the sale.

I couldn't justify 'expensive' coilies on a Lupo that isn't a GTi really. Unless you're from Oxford, then buy what you want :lol:

AP come highly reccommended for coilovers and for their fixed drop kit (new dampers and springs) - dubmeister has just started stocking this for just over £300, im sure it can be found elsewhere too. AP @ Dubmeister u need alignment done or your front wheels will be all over the place camber-wise after u fit new struts.

Ben that doesn't really simplify the alignment haha.

Alignment needs doing because if you undo the bolts at the bottom of the strut it becomes all wonky, meaning your steering wheel will be pointing in the wrong direction. It also causes camber(as Ben said) which is when the tops of the front wheels are at a different distance than the bottom. And also toe which is the same but comparing the front and back of your wheels. Toe causes tyre wear and camber causes uneven tyre wear. And unless you want to go through tyres and twice the speed, get your alignment done.;)

Most places now have a laser unit which lines it all up perfectly, it will normally cost around £30. Okay? :)

I'm still set on springs as I live in the country and the roads here wouldn't support proper "lows" so saving my student budget for other things. (Puma?) :D

I'm still set on springs as I live in the country and the roads here wouldn't support proper "lows" so saving my student budget for other things. (Puma?) :D

cheers ill get the allignment done when i do it ;) ahah

KW Variant 1 INOX Coilovers are highly rated one of the best coilover kits around, cheap coilovers will crumble & fall apart

Bilstein do a fixed kit again highly rated B10 I think the kit is called.

Wouldn't do springs without shocks as to much bounce back on the road from standard shocks with uprated springs.