Help needed for this conversion..

GeX

Quite a bump but just to clarify, a 1.6 Polo GTI Engine is a straight swap for my Lupo 1.0?

Just need engine, gearbox, loom, ecu, transponder?

Edited by GeX

Hi mate i've done a 1.6 aee 8v polo engine conversion on my 1.0e, My 1.0 was a AER and i swapped this with a AEE out of a polo you will have to change the gearbox off the lupo as the polo gear change is part of the lupo gearbox casing or change the internals of the 1.6 gearbo to your lupo casing, As this is what i am planning to do. This conversion was a plug and play, the loom is the same i ran the polo ecu which won't run the car due to the immobilizer but try to start the car with the new 1.6 ecu in and it will stall erase the fault codes out of the ecu and it should run no worries. You will need the injectors etc off the 1.6 but i did this conversion in less than a day, Inc removing the 1.0 fitting the 1.6 and driving it away ! I am in the middle of turboing my 1.6 at the moment just need to finish the intercooler pipework off and map it . Hope this helps :rolleyes:

Hi mate i've done a 1.6 aee 8v polo engine conversion on my 1.0e, My 1.0 was a AER and i swapped this with a AEE out of a polo you will have to change the gearbox off the lupo as the polo gear change is part of the lupo gearbox casing or change the internals of the 1.6 gearbo to your lupo casing, As this is what i am planning to do. This conversion was a plug and play, the loom is the same i ran the polo ecu which won't run the car due to the immobilizer but try to start the car with the new 1.6 ecu in and it will stall erase the fault codes out of the ecu and it should run no worries. You will need the injectors etc off the 1.6 but i did this conversion in less than a day, Inc removing the 1.0 fitting the 1.6 and driving it away ! I am in the middle of turboing my 1.6 at the moment just need to finish the intercooler pipework off and map it . Hope this helps :rolleyes:

Really helps matey, few questions though.

Was there any reason you went for the 8v over the 16v?

My lupo E's engine code is AUC by the way and I also have a spare ESY code gearbox which I could change the internals into?

So I don't need to change the loom just get the 1.6 ecu, engine and gearbox then swap internals with the 1.6 injectors?

Edited by GeX

Hi the reason i went 8v is because the engines are basically the same looking and everything was plug and play, also they are readly available and have good torque you can pick a complete polo up for less than £400 i got a genuine 29000 mile 1 owner 1.6 car for £250 is was a little bent though ! I will be posting some pics on here soon and some videos of my 1.6 turbo as soon as i get chance, Now i've finished my mk2 vr6 project ! And getting my loop ready for early edition on sunday won't be turbo'd by then I'm hoping to have it done and mapped up for GTI international in june :shades:

Hi the reason i went 8v is because the engines are basically the same looking and everything was plug and play, also they are readly available and have good torque you can pick a complete polo up for less than £400 i got a genuine 29000 mile 1 owner 1.6 car for £250 is was a little bent though ! I will be posting some pics on here soon and some videos of my 1.6 turbo as soon as i get chance, Now i've finished my mk2 vr6 project ! And getting my loop ready for early edition on sunday won't be turbo'd by then I'm hoping to have it done and mapped up for GTI international in june :shades:

Ah right I see, I've found a Polo Saloon 1.6 8v with engine code AUR, do you know if this will work as I can't seem to find anything about it as it's the only breaking car I can find locally.

Really need your help on this one as you appear to be the only person who has done it.

Get some pics/vids up! :)

Thanks for the help. :shades:

Edited by GeX

Hi mate the AEE engine out of the golf wont fit, the blocks are too big, Your car has the later engine in than mine with a slightly different management system, Your's has the better management system with emission controls so the 1.6 conversion in my opinion wouldn't be a good one to do as the emissions on these engines are more strict and would cause problems at mot time, I take it your car is a 2000 onwards ? What i would advise is to get a early lupo with the AER engine code and then do the AEE conversion. :shades: This is the conversion I did and it is so easy ! Hope this helps ?

That's what I was thinking about the golf engine, yes you're right my car is an 02 plate. Unfortunately buying another Lupo is out of the question as I've done too much to this one to make it viable. I'll have to look into other conversions rather than the 8v 1.6. Hopefully someone can shed some light on what's compatible with an AUC engine code. Thanks for all your help it's really been appreciated.

The engine code is AUC, the gearbox is ESY.

It's FBW throttle and a cable clutch afaik.

Anyone?

Edited by GeX

You could fit a 1.4 8v out of a late ish polo that should be a straight swap ? Have a look at this on ebay, You would need the ecu and injectors but should be a straight swap plug and play this is the item number 170533037101 :D

• 1 month later...

Quite a bump but just to clarify, a 1.6 Polo GTI Engine is a straight swap for my Lupo 1.0?

Edited by GeX

Nope, mounts are different. It's a straight swap for any 16v lupo or arosa though.

just buy the left side engine mount and sorted there like 20quid, ive got one in my shed and my mate has 3

Are you sure that's the only difference? Sell me it. :D

Edited by GeX

yeah 16v mouns are about an inch more forward but you just swap them over

So all that's needed is the engine, gearbox, loom, ecu, peddlebox, left side engine mount and I can put the Polo GTI 1.6 16v engine into my Lupo 1.0?

Could you help me source the correct mount or sell me one?

Would I need to change the driveshafts?

Thanks for the help arosabinns. :)

Edited by GeX

• 8 months later...

I know this is an old on but im planning on doing this one on my mk1 arosa how did u get past the immobiliser problem? Do u need the keys of the 1.6 aswell as the ecu? Or will it run with my arosa keys and the polo ecu?