I did something very silly..

Hi everyone,

After fiddling with my new head unit (Pioneer DEH 8300SD) trying to sort out the muting problem i spoke about in an earlier post, it now doesn't want to turn on at all. I took it out to look at the wiring on the back, didn't move any of them, then put it back in and it wouldn't turn on, no lights or anything. I tried putting my old headunit back in to see if that one would work, but no luck with that either, completely lifeless.

So now I've gone from a partially working cd player to a completely silent one. Can anyone think what might be the problem, considering I'm having the same outcome with both old and new head units?

Wish now i'd paid a professional to install and set it up for me :(

Thanks

Jamie

Hi everyone,

After fiddling with my new head unit (Pioneer DEH 8300SD) trying to sort out the muting problem i spoke about in an earlier post, it now doesn't want to turn on at all. I took it out to look at the wiring on the back, didn't move any of them, then put it back in and it wouldn't turn on, no lights or anything. I tried putting my old headunit back in to see if that one would work, but no luck with that either, completely lifeless.

So now I've gone from a partially working cd player to a completely silent one. Can anyone think what might be the problem, considering I'm having the same outcome with both old and new head units?

Wish now i'd paid a professional to install and set it up for me :(

Thanks

Jamie

If neither of your headunits will turn on at all, you may have blown some fuses. These are replaced cheaply but you'll have to find the one you've blown :)

thanks that sounds promising, how do I check them? By 'cheaply' do you have a rough idea of a figure?

Thanks again

I dont know what the standard way of checking them is, i made a little fuse tester circuit with an led to show if current was passing through.

And price wise you can usually get a couple for less than a fiver :)

To check the fuses, look at the fuse box located under the steering wheel and to the right. Pull the cover off and you should see the fuses. Sorry i cannot be of help as to which ones to check, but there will probably be a guide on here as to which ones are Head unit related. Fuses can be picked up very cheaply, maybe costing a couple of quid in halfords or similar store :)

thank you for the help, going to buy some fuses tomorrow. Could blown fuses also be the cause of why my centre console lights (heater etc)dont show up in the dark?

And maybe even why the central locking doesn't work, as I have to open the passenger door either from the inside or from the outside with the key, ie the unlocking the drivers door doesnt seem to unlock the passenger one. hmmm damn fuses :P