Lupo tailgate glass

Macus

Hi,

so i bought a smoothed tailgate from someone on edition and set up delivery for next day...2 days later and theres still no delivery. I have just got off the phone to city link and they have informed me that the glass has smashed which is why they are holding it!! i am so annoyed! what i want to know is how much is new glass for a tailgate going to cost me, or should i say going to cost city link?

cheers

Dan

I would have thought you (or whoever booked City Link) should tell them to sort the replacement out. After all they were tasked with the safe delivery of the item. To be sure take a look at their terms and conditions, see if they have a cop out. Or check to see if items are insured during time in their care. I would imagine they would try and blame the packaging of the item, did they know the package contained glass?

yeah package said exactly what it was, im going to get in contact with claims department tomorrow but just wanted to know what sort of price i'd be looking at for glass replacement as i would get a quote and then try and get them to foot the bill somehow

I would not enter into sourcing prices for them. They broke it they fix it. Simply tell the claims department that they have to replace the window. Let them find a replacement and have it fitted.

im going to take delivery of it take pictures etc and then take it from there, i have been contemplating adding the cost for respray onto the claim aswell as i assume the glass will have damaged the paint (then i can get it in the colour of my car too) but i can't see this solution being sorted overnight so will be pushing my luck for a respray!

That is a bit of a worry I had been thinking of replacing mine due to wiper marks!

On the subject of the liabilty of the freight company.

Have you read the contract that you signed when you instructed them? Does it state that they are not liable for breakages? If it does then you are a little stuck. If not then you can argue that they did not make you aware of that at the point the contract was agreed. If there is a clause in the terms and conditions then you could (but be warned this will be expensive) argue that this is an unfair term considering they knew what they were delivering.

Edit:

I have spent some time searching the City Link website and found their terms and conditions

http://www.city-link.co.uk/sending-a-parcel/hazardous-and-dangerous-goods/termsandconditions.pdf

It appears under clause 2b that they have covered themselves, you could ask for a good will payment towards the cost of the replacement window.

Edited by JB1.0e

Would'nt use City link i sent a broken laptop via them on a insurance claim handed over the goods to the courier who said his hand held device was broke, did'nt think nowt off it and 3 days later insurance company phoned they still haven't recieved the laptop.

good old city link..

I phoned them up again and in their small print they are covered for this kind of thing... kind of defeats the object of having a courier at all really the number of things they are not liable for is ridiculous, I think it might just be that VW ones are obsolete i'd imagine autoglass etc can get hold of a replacement but failing that i will just swap it from my tailgate. The item was packed up really well so it must have taken a fair whack to break the glass.