Hey, help me please :)

Ac2709

Hey everyone, new to this forum so just been having a look around.

Basically, i have a mk4 golf and i drive to university every week which is costing more than i expected. For this reason i am looking to get a lupo. I was wondering are all the 1.4 models the 16v one? Also are the quite nippy, or am i better going for the 1.6 16v? (is that the GTI one?)

Final question, could you tell me if you have one what the petrol consumption is like and what MPG you guys get?

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to know before i dive in :)

Thanks guys

Adam

Lupo will cost similar to the golf i would have thought, although you haven't specified if it's petrol or diesel, or its displacement. The 1.6 lupo is the GTI. If you want a cheapish to run lupo go for either the 1.4 TDI or the 1.7 SDI. The 1.4 being the nippier of the two. I can only speak on behalf of myself with a 1.4 16v petrol, but around 200-300 miles can be achieved on about 30 litres of petrol. Although with sensible driving im sure more can be achieved. The 1.7 SDI has been known to give 600+ miles to the tank.

Good luck.

The best lupo for fuel consumption would have to be the 1.4tdi, although they are more towards the expensive side as lupo's come.

The next on the list would have to be the 1.0, but if your doing motorway miles not ideal.

Don't have experience what the gti's are like with fuel consumption but I'm sure another member will be able to fill you in.

:coffee:

Damn you jabbles, helpful person :(

Sorry yeah forgot to mention that the golf is a 1.6 petrol. A full tank costs £60 and the most i've got for that was 390 miles.

The lupo i was looking into getting was the 1.4 16v. If i can get more miles and if the lupo is still nippy i think its a good investment.

Cheers so far guys :)

Edited by Ac2709

there are two versions of the 1.4 16v

the 1.4 75bhp and the 1.4 Sport 100bhp with central exhaust (a little dearer and hard to find, you may have to travel, but they are very good cars, no idea about mpg figs as it doesnt have a built in computer for it and i never got out a calculator) Power wise, u probably wont notice much difference between a 1.4 75bhp and your current golf as you take the weight into account. Cant say much about the tdi or 1.0 apart from tdi's are great for getting a remap.

Thanks BEP51. Is your car the 1.4 sport? Is the 1.4 75bhp the 16v too or is it just the 1.4 sport that is the 16v?

The one you have ideally the engine i am after.

Looks like i am going to have to go travelling then :P

What they like to drive and tax mate?

Sorry to hassle with all these questions just want to get it right

Adam

Thanks BEP51. Is your car the 1.4 sport? Is the 1.4 75bhp the 16v too or is it just the 1.4 sport that is the 16v?

The one you have ideally the engine i am after.

Looks like i am going to have to go travelling then :P

What they like to drive and tax mate?

Sorry to hassle with all these questions just want to get it right

Adam

I drive a 100bhp sport, cos i have a single central exhaust (one pipe for the sport, twin pipes for the gti)

both 1.4 engines are 16v, but have so many different parts that if u want to make a 75bhp one like the 100bhp one dont bother, so many ppol ask it so i will just say before u do.

Very nice to drive, nice power for car size, could have more motorway torque, but being picky, it prefers driving up to and around 50, or at 70+ not really inbetween, needs a 6th gear really as it gets to top speed when it hits the limiter in 5th. Rolls far too much but to be expected when they built it so tall, so u will probs want to get an arb or coilies.

Tax is £85.25 for 6 months atm, probs going up with this VAT thing now.

Honestly can be very economical, but depends entirely on driving style, with your foot down all the time, e.g. on a track day, you could expect to use nearly 2 tanks perhaps.

EDIT: Also i believe the lupo has a 34 litre tank according to this site so you wont be able to get the same milage out of one tank as the golf due to capacity, but if you work out economy, i would imagine either of the 1.4 versions would be at least marginally better, also the lupo gti may be more efficient too due to the lower weight, however you will spend a LOT more buying a gti when it souds like you are trying to keep costs down.

Edited by BEP51

I drive a 100bhp sport, cos i have a single central exhaust (one pipe for the sport, twin pipes for the gti)

both 1.4 engines are 16v, but have so many different parts that if u want to make a 75bhp one like the 100bhp one dont bother, so many ppol ask it so i will just say before u do.

Very nice to drive, nice power for car size, could have more motorway torque, but being picky, it prefers driving up to and around 50, or at 70+ not really inbetween, needs a 6th gear really as it gets to top speed when it hits the limiter in 5th. Rolls far too much but to be expected when they built it so tall, so u will probs want to get an arb or coilies.

Tax is £85.25 for 6 months atm, probs going up with this VAT thing now.

Honestly can be very economical, but depends entirely on driving style, with your foot down all the time, e.g. on a track day, you could expect to use nearly 2 tanks perhaps.

Cheers mate. That is a great help.

Going to see if the GTI would be much more to insure than a 1.6 Golf.

Thanks

Cheers mate. That is a great help.

Going to see if the GTI would be much more to insure than a 1.6 Golf.

Thanks

i know that the lupo sport is group 6 compared to the 16v polo i had before (same engine) group 10, i think you can be fairly sure insurance will be more for you on the lupo gti tho cos it is called "GTI" my insurance company specifically told me they wouldnt insure me on anything that said gti, so i got the next best thing :)

EDIT: And for a decent milage gti that wont have many problems, you are looking between 5 and 7k which when saving, is far more than you would normally expect to get for selling a mk4 1.6 golf, (not that i know anything about your particular vehicle specs).

EDIT mk2: This would be a great car if it is in your budget (Click here), lots of desirable options inc gti interior, and lots of scope if you wish to personalise/modify in any way.

Edited by BEP51

i know that the lupo sport is group 6 compared to the 16v polo i had before (same engine) group 10, i think you can be fairly sure insurance will be more for you on the lupo gti tho cos it is called "GTI" my insurance company specifically told me they wouldnt insure me on anything that said gti, so i got the next best thing :)

EDIT: And for a decent milage gti that wont have many problems, you are looking between 5 and 7k which when saving, is far more than you would normally expect to get for selling a mk4 1.6 golf, (not that i know anything about your particular vehicle specs).

Cheers again mate. Think i'll go for the 1.4 sport. If its got a bit of omph to it and its better than my Golf on petrol i can't complain.

Just finding one now that is difficult. My eyes have gone square from autotrader, ebay and pistonheads :P

A sport is anything but economical, it's a known fact that the GTI is more economical than a sport despite the larger engine capacity.

In that case, may i ask why you seem in fact to own both? wouldnt that make the sport obselete to you in every way? Less power, less efficient, not as good on motorways, lower value, probably less fun...