Banded steels

R_Briggsy

Hi all, i will soon be getting some banded steels, and i have already decided the colour scheme im going with. Im wanting black centres with a red lip.

But..

Instead of just being sprayed i was wanting the red lip to be the same, or similar, to polished lips on other alloys. So basically i want a red polished lip.

Do any of you know how i could acheive this? Iv been told anodizing but im unsure if you can anodize steel or not.

Rob

Polished wheels are bare metal, so there's no way of them being red and polished.

Anodising, as you say, will give you the effect you're after, but I have no idea about anodising wheels.

You can pretty much anodise most things, it just depends on weather the place u take what your wanting anodised have the facilities to dip something the size of a wheel.

I've been looking @ banded steels but the only thing that's putting me off is how are they going to effect handling. I love the look of steels but I'd be worried about how wide u have them done & weather if the tires will come off the rim when corning hard.

Right, yeah i gathered i couldnt have it polished, but wanted the polished look.

So anodizing will work on the steels?

I dont really know whiny, im not too fussed on speed as such, want more than my 1.2 corsa, but i mainly want to make it look good.

Sounds like you're right:

Anodic films are most commonly applied to protect aluminium alloys, although processes also exist for titanium, zinc, magnesium, niobium, and tantalum. This process is not a useful treatment for iron or carbon steel because these metals exfoliate when oxidized; i.e. the iron oxide (also known as rust) flakes off, constantly exposing the underlying metal to corrosion.

Ahh right, sorry.

I didnt know if i had to search for just plating, or if i had to search for steel plating ect, otherwise i would.

I think ill just get them powdercoated tbh as i think plating will cost too much due to the size of the lips on my steels.

Thanks for your help everyone, its much appreciated.

You can probably find red chrome effect paint to apply to plastic trims rings with an airbrush. (like those from the MK3 Golf GL)

you'd need a lot of layers and a lot of wet and dry sanding in various grades to get it to look polished though.

Another option is to buy some Chrome/ Stainless steel trim rings and spray them with a Tinted clear coat.

(the tinted clear coat would need to be mixed and again applied with an air brush)

HTH a bit mate. few more options atleast

Edited by Jowey

That would be n option jowey but paint/laquer just does nit adhere well to polished/shiny surfaces so before long it'll stonechip and start to lift

a candy red powdercoat would sort of give the effect required

paint/laquer just does not adhere well to polished/shiny surfaces so before long it'll stonechip and start to lift

That is a good point mate, something I didn't think of.

my mate got prosecuted for having them on his passat! he didnt stand a chance in court there a big no no!

You find me which law states this?

And what was he officially charged with.

an excert of this thread in which someone contacted vosa about the legailty of widened steel wheels and this was theyre reply

Dear Mr Hilton

There are no specific regulations in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended (C&U) relating to the type of work you propose.

Regulation 100 of C&U does require that all parts fitted to a vehicle are not likely to cause a danger to the user of the vehicle or other road users. I have attached a copy of Regulation 100.

Additionally, you will need to ensure that the wheels do not protrude from the wheel arches, or that modifications are made to the bodywork of the vehicle to ensure that the wheels do not protrude.

Yours sincerely

name removed

DfT - Transport Technology and Standards

Read more: http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=usetharch&action=display&thread=38105#ixzz1ANsdAjYk