Lupo stalls and then carries on

NOCK

Hey guys,

I have done a search but can't seem to find anything.

I'll be driving and then the car will suddenly drop revs down to about 800-1000rpm and then immediately come back up again, this makes me feel as though I'm going to go through the windscreen and I really want to get this fixed.

The car has had: new plugs, new coil pack, new leads, new full exhaust system, new air filter. Throttle body is clean.

Could this be a sensor of some description as it's never had any of them replaced (well, it hasn't in the last 45000 miles).

It happens at different revolution speeds, different gears, different gradients, and none of the gauges on the dash drop (i.e. temperature), they constantly read right.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

My dad's Polo had this problem, it did turn out to be some sort of sensor (can't remember which, I'm not very technically minded!)

But the garage didn't figure that out. He had to sit down with a Haynes manual and figure it out for himself, then tell them what to do.

Seems ok now, no problems since.

My dad's Polo had this problem, it did turn out to be some sort of sensor (can't remember which, I'm not very technically minded!)

But the garage didn't figure that out. He had to sit down with a Haynes manual and figure it out for himself, then tell them what to do.

Seems ok now, no problems since.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Could you ask him if he can remember which sensor it was please? Would be a massive help!

From googling, I think so? But like I say, I am not that technically minded!

Best to double check with someone who knows their stuff, but I am guessing they are the same thing.

electrical contact cleaner

I've never heard of this, am I best going to Halfrauds or Maplin to get it? I'll spray all of my sensors with it. Oddly, I think that when it is raining outside that the car is less likely to do it, however this may well be in my head.

Hey hey it was the Hall Sensor. Hope this helps!

Thank you!

Hmm, is that camshaft sensor then?

Thank you, I'd never heard of a hall sensor, but that makes more sense, I guess it's one of the many parts that have more than one name.

Edited by NOCK

hi, i would check your Cambelt for wear on the Teeth of the belt as i have had the exact same problem for months now and today my cambelt has just give up. i had tried loads of different things to try and get the problems sorted and its would come and go so it was hard to tell if had been sorted out. i really do think the problem i was experiencing was the cambelt tho.

cheers

hi, i would check your Cambelt for wear on the Teeth of the belt as i have had the exact same problem for months now and today my cambelt has just give up. i had tried loads of different things to try and get the problems sorted and its would come and go so it was hard to tell if had been sorted out. i really do think the problem i was experiencing was the cambelt tho.

cheers

Thanks for the input. As it was replaced less than 10,000 miles ago I expect it to be okay. I will have a quick glance when I get a chance though.

Replaced it, took 2 minutes, and that was with having no idea where the sensor was. As soon as I took the engine cover off it hit me in the face. 1 bolt and 1 clip made it extremely easy. I took it for a quick spin and it seems okay so far. Only time will tell though I guess.

When I took the old sensor off there was a little bit of oil in there, I'm guessing that this is perfectly normal, right?

HT leads?

Replaced, along with spark plugs, and coil pack.

Have you not scanned it yet???

I'm afraid not, as I don't have VAG-COM or know anyone local to me that does (Eastbourne). :(

It probably wont bring anything up, because it doesnt flag management up or anything. It never brought a code back on mine.

Maybe a fueling issue?

I was wondering whether it could be a fuel pump/injector issue? Aside from the issue the car runs great, I just don't get it :angry:

Edited by NOCK

Get over on edition38 mate and put a thread out, I'm sure there are quite a few nearby that'd be willing to check your codes. Would've thought it was a fuel pump problem then it'd be constant and possibly smoke like a good'n too. It should bring up a stored fault code if there has been a sensor issue, doesn't need to stick the EML on.

Worth a try but i bet theres nothing logged. There wasnt on mine and i had mine put on VAGCOM the same day it happend.

I think it might be injectors. Reason being, I filled up yesterday with half a bottle of Redex and managed to drive 200 miles without the problem happening at all!

I know Redex isn't the best way of doing it, so my question is...does anyone know how to clean injectors properly? As I reckon it would be worth a try.

Sonic cleaning would be best I guess.

Sorry to sound like a numpty but what is that? I have visions of a small blue hedgehog whizzing around my engine bay, and I'm sure that this isn't what you are actually suggesting? :rolleyes:

Sonic frequency waves are used to shake all the crap out of the injector nozzles, then you should get them spray checked so you can see if the spray pattern is good.

Sonic frequency waves are used to shake all the crap out of the injector nozzles, then you should get them spray checked so you can see if the spray pattern is good.

Right okay, I think I'll let VW do their diagnosis then as I'm sure the cost of having this done will probably be around the £65 mark that VW want to do a diagnosis. I'll keep this thread updated with what they say, in case someone else has the same problem in the future.

I took it to the experts and they told me that the Throttle Body wasn't tightened down properly and that it hadn't been 'adapted to the car'. So they cleaned it, bolted it down and 'adapted' it with the computer which was supposed to fix the problem.

The car did it twice in 3 miles! Waste of £68 quite frankly. Gonna give them a call now. :angry: