Lupo GTI what to look for HELP

dubber72

Right looking at buying a lupo GTI.what are the Pro and Cons. here different things all the time. ie is 6 speed better than 5 speed. gearbox issues, pedal box issues, can anybody give me a few tell tale signs what to look for.had various vw's but never played about with lupo's before so any help would be greatfully recieved cheers jay

Hello

I have just bought a Lupo GTI and was quite surprised how different it feels to the Sport I owned before.

You need to remember that the newest GTI's are now 5years old and so check them as you would with any car of a similar vintage. Check the service history, Lupo's are serviced on a 12month or 10,000mile basis they were never offered with long life servicing although many low mileage cars have skipped services as the owners believe that they have not done the 10,000miles so they can skip the service. Check the Cambelt and water pump has been replaced, I believe the current wisdom is at around 40,000miles or 4years but I am sure someone else can confirm or correct this.

With the GTI the body has several aluminium panels (Bonnet, doors, wheelarches...) check these are free from damage as repairs are more difficult and some panels (the bonnet) are no longer available. While checking the body work check the spoiler for bubbles as they are know to become water logged which will cause the high level brake light to fail. Also check the roof for rust as this is also a known fault. There is a thread on here for how to claim under the bodywork warranty. Also check the bodywork for signs of poor repairs or other accident damage.

Check the Electronics all function correctly, there are several reports of electric window faults, central locking faults etc.

Mechanically, the GTI seems to be tougher than some Lupo's but check the gearbox operates smoothly. Don't be alarmed by kangarooing when the engine is cold, this is quite common and can be improved by running on high octane fuel. If you are not mechanically minded maybe get the car inspected or ask a mechanically minded friend to take a look.

I am sure others will add to this, good luck with your search.

James

thanks james yep read lots of the threads on the club lupo. yep i am mechanically minded have played about with vw's for years. but never worked on a lupo or know anybody who has had one. hence this is why i'm asking the question before i go looking. so any advice would be a great help. cheers jay :)

The pedal box problem doesn't affect GTI's. And there aren't really any issues with the gearboxes, 5 or 6 speed. Some people say the 5 speeders are the same as the cack polo gti boxes, but it's not true.

thanks phil just trying to get a heads up what to look for. spent alot of time on mk1 gti's +caddy's +corrado g60's etc. haven't even driven one yet so not to sure what to expect. hope its a bit like a mk1 gti but then something the missus can drive as well. :D

Quite a few people compare it to the mk1 as far as fun factor goes... I adore my GTi, think it's an absolute joy to drive and puts up very well with being driven hard, biggest let down is the brakes IMO.

Quite a few people compare it to the mk1 as far as fun factor goes... I adore my GTi, think it's an absolute joy to drive and puts up very well with being driven hard, biggest let down is the brakes IMO.

they can't be as bad as mk1 gti can they? :o

No, they are fine, the pedal feel is softer than other cars imo, so people say the are poo... I was impressed test driving mine before I bought it.

read the build thread about your OEM lupo gti looks great i can see taking to you alot when i get my lupo gti. :D