2012 Focus ST

DarkStryder360

The Duratec engines are very poor on fuel economy and not powerful compared to the competition. After all, the basic design is getting on for 16 years old, hence the upcoming new Eco-Boost range. The current crop of Duratorque diesels are, as far as I can remember, PSA units.

My 1.25 Mk6.5 Fiesta averaged 33mpg. Compare that with the Mk4 1.25 I had that did 45mpg on the same journeys! Not exactly progress, but the car is larger and heavier. It was more refined than my Lupo and handled better. If the need arose, I'd have another (or even a more useful Fusion in 1.6 TDCI flavour) no problem.

The current KA is a Fiat 500, with better suspension. Personally, I don't like it either, but the KA Zetec I had on loan when my Fiesta went in for service was very good. I don't know if it was £12000 good, but there you go.

I suppose with the numbers of cars built, crap ones will be made. All major manufacturers are guilty of it from Mercedes (we have several at work and not one has been trouble free), BMW, Ford or VW.

Fortunately, my Altea has been unusually well behaved and everything works as it should. Maybe I should take it back and complain!

Edited by IDGM