replacing front bushes GTI

Rudaz

hey guys, noticed that i really need to replace my front bushes as they look knackered and one is fully split and all i can hear going over bumps is knock knock knock!! wondered if it is an easy job and something that with a little help i can do at home rather that paying money i dont have to take it to a garage! ;) there are 2 sets on the front, right?? both directly behind the wheel, one at the bottom facing vertically upwards (this is the worst!!) and one above pointing horisontally??

also thinking of poly bushes.. anyone had 1st hand experiance of these? they worth the money?

any help appreciated

D

Hi Rudaz

I've only just completely overhauled the bushes on my 2001 Lupo GTI and replaced with Powerflex ones. Best thing I ever did - the ride is a million times better. You will need to use a vice if you don't have a hydraulic press to get the busted ones out and squeeze in the chunkier replacements.

If you wanted a step by step photo led guide to replacing the bushes see August 2010 issue of Golf+ page 78-81 project pages on my car.

If you haven't a copy of this, then PM me your email addy and I'll whizz over the pdfs of these pages for reference.

Cheers Sezza :shades:

Here's the link to Powerflex's website for the Lupo, if you click on the car diagram top right you'll see exactly what bushes you need and where...

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/products/Lupo+%281999+-+2004%29-1137/1.html

hi shezza thanks for the reply and just checked, i do have that issue, totally forgot about it :lol: the powerflex website is a bit confusing though, is the price listed for one single bush or for a pair? wouldnt have thought they would sell them individually because why anyone would want to but a single bush is beond me :lol:

thanks again.

D

I paid £60 for 2 new wishbones wih OEM rubbers from TPS, really easy job!!

I went balls out and changed:

Both wishbones including bushes

Top mounts inc bearings etc

ARB bushes

ARB drop links

Ball joints

Drove/drives like a dream!

Poly bushes are great for track use but speaking to a vehicle dynamics engineer he said they will elongate over road use and you will be back to square one... stick with OEM items.

I paid £60 for 2 new wishbones wih OEM rubbers from TPS, really easy job!!

I went balls out and changed:

Both wishbones including bushes

Top mounts inc bearings etc

ARB bushes

ARB drop links

Ball joints

Drove/drives like a dream!

Poly bushes are great for track use but speaking to a vehicle dynamics engineer he said they will elongate over road use and you will be back to square one... stick with OEM items.

LOL Mat... If only Aston Martin did this over the years.

I fitted new wishbones and bushes to mine, couldn't feel the difference, then fitted Powerflex bushes and they were much better. Wish I had seam welded the wishbones now though.

• 3 months later...

Is there a step by step photo guide to replacing the front bushes on here and what do you mean seam welded james, As i could at this stage have them welded at a local garage. will the cost out way the ?. :confused: : looks, strength, :D