What Sub?

Right, people of CL.

My ladyfriend knows i've wanted a sub for a while but can't really afford it at the moment, so she has said that she will get me one for my birthday!!

I will have to give her some ideas for specific models or features or whatever, but first I need some ideas!

She won't want to spend more than around £100, can I get a good enough sub for this? Or should I put in my own funds to take up the budget? I know the very basics, which is, I need an amp. other than that i'm pretty unsure with subs. Can I get a sub with an amp built in? Or will I have to rely on a sub + amp package? Clearly the sub will need to fit in the lupo, but Will still need some space for other odds and ends. I also don't know the difference between 'active' and 'Non-active' and which would be best? I was looking at the under seat subs and bass tubes but recognise they won't always have the same power as a sub designed for the boot.

So, what sub, what amp and where from?!

Cheers, Gilly.

Yessir, I had heard that standard VW speakers aren't too bad. But have also heard that some better coaxials or mid bass drivers would do a better job. This is what i'm asking for you see, I don't have a clue! And like you say, the girlfriend's money needs to be spent wisely! ;)

Thanks, Gilly.

I had a 10" edge sub and amp package, slotted perfectly into the the lupo boot and for 80 quid was a bargain a lot of people dont like these but i dont know if its because there badge snobs, good luck!

remember you'l need wires and a headunit that'l have preouts for subs/amps aswell as the sub and amp. theres really no difference with subs with built in amps or not, built in ones just looks more tidy because the wires that connect the sub and amp would be hidden in the box.

^ most active subs come with a ****ty pre fab box which arent doing the sub any favours!

Its all about the box.

true. i dont think i'd ever buy a sub with a built in amp tbh. but if you're not to bothered and just want a bit of bass, anythin can do tbh lol

Right, so having combined information and advice from yourselves and colleagues, I have decided that just upgrading the front with components (is that how it works?) so replacing the original speakers with aftermarket components? I don't want to sound like a chav who just goes for 6x9s and a massive sub, as I know this does no good for sound quality. But for the music I listen to, bass is important as i'm sure you'll appreciate ;)Will upgrading the front comps give me enough bass?!

Cheers, Gilly.

2 way components wont play you any bass through,

3 way components will play you enough bass to enjoy the music, but not window down thud thud thud ( not that this is bad done correctly ;) )

I dont know alot about car audio lol, but i know my set up works well for me! enough bass for everyday listening, along with good quality.

focal 165a's, some 2channel alpine amp, 18mm mdf rings to mount speakers, sound deadened doors, all new wiring.

They're 2 way componants mate, so you get the speaker in the door and tweeter on the dash. Basically the same as your existing set up that you get from the factory, just better quality.

Plenty of bass if you want it. Sound deaden your door to increase sound quality and reduce rattles.

obviously you wont be driving down the street going BOOM BOOM, but listening to music at pretty decent qualtiy :)

yeah could run them off the h/u no problem as far as im aware, just cut the old wiring from the speakers and solder it to the new speakers. tbh though i dont think you will notice a great increase in sound quality (or bass) if you dont amp them up.

Sure you could find a fairly decent second hand amp on ebay for like 40 quid?

remember though to sound deaden you doors!!! lol, also make sure you get them on as tight as you can get (mdf rings, not plastic adaptors). the worse thing when listening to music is vibrations.