1.4 sport, horrible high pitched noise

i was out earlier with mates, there wasnt any really fast driving but when i went to start the engine up from hot again, there was a really high pitched whining noise, louder as throttle was applied. would this be the cambelt and need to be changed? would it be ok to drive in the meantime although its really loud, sort of like a supercharger.

Thanks in advance

When i had this problem in my yellow lupo, someone told me it could be something to do with the waterpump? never noticed it when i was driving it myself from inside the car, however from outside it did sound similar to a charger.

Edited by BaileyVW

Found the cause, a tensioners had shattered and rubbing against the cambelt, all fixed now and timing done but still won't start. Engine is turning over fine but just won't start, any ideas?

You sure your timing is spot on? Being a tooth or two out can cause it to crank over but not fire up, not pulled out any sensors whilst doing the job?

Found the cause, a tensioners had shattered and rubbing against the cambelt, all fixed now and timing done but still won't start. Engine is turning over fine but just won't start, any ideas?

its shattered? take it was still running before stripping? other than that i agree with loopete timings out or have you left something like the cam or crank sensor disconnected?