Brake shoes

Well my cars done about 97000 miles and the handbrake is a bit too high up so we've been out and brought some new brake shoes

The wheel is off, and now we can't get the drum off. At the minute its being banged with a rubber hammer and anything else we can find without damaging it!

Any advice?

thankss

If it's that bad, you made be better of buying new drums anyhow, so you could cut them off if you have an angle grinder. I've had to do this on a couple of occasions (not recently though!)

Careful of your wheel cylinders as you try to get the drum off.

The problem will most likely be a lip has worn into the drum and the shoes have expanded to keep them efficient.

The lip will now be catching on the shoes.

I'm not sure about Lupos, but if you have a way of adjusting\tightening the shoes in the way you may get them off.

If you pull them and hammer them you may pull the shoes off they're mounts, but you may also wreck the cylinder.

Here'a post which may help...

Im absolutely crap at explaing things but here goes.

Whats happening is there is a lip on the outer edge of the of the drum, this where the shoes dont come in to contact with the surface, the bit where the shoes do come in to contact with the drum wears down, and the shoes adjust outwards, and this causes the endge of the shoe/lining to go beyond ithe highest point which stops the drum coming off.

To get it off you just simply release the adjusting mechanism.

with the drum facing you, line the holes up so the two top holes (where you wheel bolt goes) are horizontal with the car (you may need to move it slightly this is just a rough idea).

Now the top left hole should be roughly lined up with the adjusting wedge, now get a screw driver, go through the hole and push up on the adjusting wedge.

This should realse the mechanism and your drum should slide off.

Hope this helps.

Well...

We got one of the brake drums off after going to Wilco and buying a thing that pulls it off.

and thennn... couldnt get the brake shoe off as my dad didnt want to break the springs in it!

So, a great day and then nothing worked!

When we saw the brake shoe, it wasn't even worn down that much anyway, so we tried to tightening the handbrake instead and it worked a little bit.

Handbrake is still a bit too high up but then it was late so we put evrything back together and watcched the footie lol

but thanks anywayyy, will be a take 2 in the next few days!

To save any breakages, anybody in northamptonshire area fancy helping?:D

lupoluke is right about the adjustment wedge. It can be fiddley to do, without being able to see what you are doing inside the drum.

As for the brake shoes, they come off as one, as the new ones are. You have to remove the hub to get them off, which is not as bad as it sounds. A 12 point 30mm socket and 175Nm is all it takes. The hub just pulls off by hand.

You can then lever against the stub axle and the bottom of the brake shoes to unhook them from the lower pivot. Then remove the top of the shoes, and the handbrake cable unhooks.

The handbrake cables can be adjusted inside the car, just under the back of the centre console.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey sounds like the same roblem i had with mine... What i did was i took off the hydraulic breaking cylinder... turned out the notches which hold the break shoes central and flat with the rum inner diameter had snapped and bent off so when i took the drunk off, the shoes went with the drum.. easiest way is to remove the Break cylander and then blead the breaks when finished.. new parf form GSF auto parts i think was about a £10 or less...

this might not be it but it sounds a hell of a lot what happened to mine.

Hope it helps and sorry for the lateness of this message :P youve probrably finished it now :P

X