How To:Diy fibreglass sub enclosure (pics)

I decided to design and build a f/g sub box. After working out how big it should be for my sub and how much space i wanted to lose, i started work.

F_glass_mould.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />F_glass_mould3.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Boot area protected, mask up covering sevearal layers and lay up the glass matt and resin. I mixed 400g of resin to `8-10g` of catalyst. ie 2%. Once dry, Remove from car and clean off all tape etc. Another 4 layers of matt was laid in two stages and left to dry in between.

backandbase1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />backbaseside.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Once completly dry, fited mold back into car to check fit and marked for shape. All the excess was trimmed and joined to m.d.f to base and side using F/G paste. (This should be to the size you require)

box_assmbly_inner.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

A Baffle for the speaker was made out of 18mm and the flush fitting ring out of 15mm. This was bonded together using hot glue gun. It was angled using metal brackets bent in a vice and screwed together.T nuts were used for mounting the sub these were m5 thread.

Baffle.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />box_assmbly.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

It was then glued and screwed to the base and side of the enclosure.

glassing.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />glassing2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Obviously the box should be strengthened so braces were made and glued,screwed and glassed in position where needed.

boxsubfr1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />withsubin.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Shown with 10" Crystal sub in place.

sub_cloth1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />subsresin1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Box then covered with fleecy material secured using hot glue gun, and stretch tightly. Then resin applied until soaked thru'. This was left to harden and more fibre matt and resin applied to strengthen on the inside.

subtrial2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />subtrial1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

This shows how it will fit in boot. F/G paste applied to outside to get better shape, so carpet can be fitted easier. The box should be sanded smooth prior to carpeting prob using 80 grit paper. I sprayed it black so i could see any imperfections.

box_carpet2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />box_carpet1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Carpet was very fiddly to do. I started from the base and up over the front. I used spray adhesive to stick it , (waiting a for it to go tacky first) a little bit at a time, and stretching it to allow me to work ou how to fix it around the odd shaped curves.

boxcarpet3.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />finished.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

The he only part not carpeted was the back and a small part on the bottom left, as it will not be seen. It will be secured in onto the mdf floor

after the amp rack is made.

What do you reckon?? biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> 8)

Top job. Wondered who the first was gonna be to use fibre glass on here. Lots of hard work but worth it in the end.

Top stuff buddy, be good to see how this turns out buddy, what size did you deside on in the end?

I think we may be seeing more of these popping ups now its been show how its done!

Is it just a case of adding a mdf port to something like this?

Apperently the specs for this sub gives a similar curve to the old ported specs,so i'm leaving it sealed. i'm looking at about 0.9 cuft. ported is meant to be 1.6 cuft which is a bit big for what i wanted. i think if you want to add a port it should be built into the box at the start.

How much room is left between the seat/bootlid and the sub mount?

Is it possable to get a 12" in like that?

Or twisted slightly?

How did you get the measurements with it being such a weird shape?

You know wahst comeing next dont ya 8)

Fancy desiging me something? biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

a 12" wont fit in like that. you could possibly do something , any thing is possible with fiberglass, i made a mistake at first cos the seat would jus about close with it in. so i had to shave off a bit of the baffle and dismantle it and move it over about 5 mm.

At first i worked out the space i had. and put the figures into winisd for a wedge shaped box made from 18mm mdf. this gave me enough to play with. Then i adjust box sizes to see how freq response would be affected. (this sub is good cos it has a wide range of sizes it can work with.) i got my rough size but i'm not to concerned if it is slightly smaller. i'll pack it with wadding.

I don't mind helping out with designs etc it all depends on what you want. 8)

Im wanting to port it you see, so need between 1.7 & 2 cuft.

Wanting to tune to 45hz (although a little lower if needs be is fine.)

This is the only way I can think of doing it (this was 2cuft without useing the spare wheel well.)

I have quite a bit of spare room in the spare wheel well if that could be utilsed?

Any way you can think of of getting it all in?