Lowering Guide

TWL

You can do it in 2 ways:

1. Lowering springs (cheap and not very good for ride)

2. Coilovers (expensive but improve ride and can be adjustable)

If you dont know much about cars, you will need to get them fitted by a garage.

P.S I think I have some lowering springs in my shed, PM me if you want them

Why do u want a lowering guide can i ask ? The is a guide to fit coilovers thats about it !

Edited by Ralphy

Probably, but I don't know them off the top of my head. Just do them up tight ;)

Jack car up.

Axle stands.

Open bonnet.

Remove wheels.

Remove strut top plastic covers.

Undo top nut (think it's a 21mm).

You can wizz it off if you have a windy gun if not get torx/allen head, put it in the middle of the strut to stop it spinnint and use an offset spanner to undo the nut.

Undo lower 2 suspension bolts.

Unclip any hoses.

Remove strut.

Get your spring compressors, tighten them up till the tension is released from the sprint (should be a gap between top mount and spring).

Get a deep 21mm and wizz the nut off with a windy gun or do as per the other nut on the strut top and use an offset spanner.

Remove top mount and housing.

Remove spring.

Release tension.

Refitting is reversal of removal although you can normally get away with fitting new springs without any need for spring compressors (get a mate to press down on them as you do the nut up).

When refitting shock put it in place and put the top plate and nut back on first then do the bottom 2 bolts.

Pull the disc towards you or push the strut away then do the bolts up tight.

Once done clip things back into place, wheel on, drop the car and do the top nut up properly (it's easier this way IMO).

If you don't pull the disc towards you or push the strut away the camber will be different on both sides.

If the camber looks off (you can check it with a digital angle finder when parked on level ground but if it's miles out you can see visually), remove wheels again and re-do the bottom bolt alignment.

Rears jack the car up.

Remove inner plastics so you can see the top of the shocks.

Undo bottom shock bolts.

Rear beam will drop.

Pull springs out.

Fit the rubbers to the new springs.

Go inside the boot.

5 or 6mm allen key in the top of the strut to stop it spinning, spanner (19mm maybe, can't remember) and undo the nut.

Remove shocks.

Build up new shocks with the spacer, boot, rubber mount etc.

Refitting is reversal of removal.

When putting the bottom shock bolts in it's easier to lower the car a little so the wheels are on the floor and the rear beam goes up into place.

This stops the springs falling out and lines up the bolt holes easier.

Get your tracking done a couple of days afterwards as it'll be out and kill your tyres.

Edited by richie.guy

Richie.guy's guide is good. The rear damper shaft needs holding with a 7 or 8mm spanner, think the nut is 16mm.

If you have new front struts, you can remove the top nut then the one below the plate, then refit the top nut again before taking the strut off the car, makes removing the spring/top mount easier.

Thanks, that was just what i was after, just a reference guide, im just hoping that thers no seized bolts, ive just checked the front dampers and the shaft has a 7mm allan, with a 22mm nut at the top?

21mm, I used a sparkplug socket with hex flats on the out side of it and a 7mm brake type allen key through the hole, I found it easier that way.

My top mounts were solid, used wurth rost off to help. I used a dog leg 21mm spanner and went to halfords (as i knew i was going to snap something, tools come with lifetime warranty) and bought a set of sockets, snapped 2 sets, but 3rd time lucky they came undone. Takes few hours to get it done, just take your time and take plenty of photos, this will help you remember the order you took things off.