cuts out randomly...

JoshB&D

Doesnt a cable throttle assembley have a cable that determines the throttle opening? Rather than a sensor?

your right the cable does open and close the throttle body but thats not the fault it still runs a sensor and thats whats causing it to cut out

Just had my TB taken off and cleaned seems to have sorted it, i was also told it could be the lamder sensor just after the manifold?

I have this problem now, exactly the same as you Stryder...

Clutch in, car cuts out!

Im going to take a look and clean everything later, check plugs etc. Did it a few times last night and none this morning?!

Sweet, another victim lol.

Makes driving all that more dangerous! But you said about cleaning the breather, I did that while back and quick fix, then continued.

I just assumed because my car is lowered I have hit something that has fecked with the engine.

I am really considering the new Alternator though!! (or refurbed ;) )

Doesnt a cable throttle assembley have a cable that determines the throttle opening? Rather than a sensor?

Yes, but there's also some kind of sensor that clips onto the throttle body itself. I believe that it used to set the engine idle speed but I don't actually know.

All I know is, I had the engine-cut out problem when I came up to roundabouts as the engine speed was obviously dropping, then I was steering, asking even more of the engine causing it to cut out. I cleaned the throttle body and it was like driving a new car again.

I replaced the throttle body a couple of years later when it was failing to idle correctly.

And touch wood, that's the only problem that I've ever had with my little Lupo ;)

As if the forum automatically changes the word ' l i l ' for little!

Edited by NOCK

• 2 months later...

Going to give this thread a bump.

3 days ago cleaned out the Throttle Body, took off airbox etc, cleaned top and bottom of the 'butterfly'... after taking it off, with can of carb cleaner and a clean rag.

Then followed instructions on the can of Carb Cleaner to spray into the TB, while keeping the throttle at half depression. So mate gave a hand in spraying, did so until about to cut out then stopped spraying. Let the engine tick over for a while, then left the car to soak up the goodness.

Went for a drive, immediately noticed a difference:

Ignition was instant, usually I have to push the accelerator when key turned to get the car going, didnt need to.

Car was idling at a steady 8.-10. revs, as opposed to the usual randomness. And wasnt pulsating, or mini revving which sometimes happened.

Pulling away no juddering, or loss in power when depressing the accelerator.

Big challenge, dipping the clutch coming to a give way, stop, etc, and coming to low revs and 1st or 2nd gear. Usually the car drops its revs dramatically and then either shoots up to 10. revs, or just plain cuts out - this time, dip the clutch and went straight to 9/10. without any drama. Went for a drive, no drama car handled and drove well. I wasnt afraid for my life like I usually am when I set out in the tool.

Yesterday I gave it a nice challenge. Went from Plymouth to Kingsbridge, and around other random little towns via country roads, and it couldnt have been any better. Came to many situations where I had to emergency brake as there was a tool blazing it over a hill on a 1 lane country road etc, and dipping the clutch with force, and braking, didnt alter the car's performance at all.

Then came to driving in the night, usually with lights on you can see the heads dip and rise in brightness, when the car is mini revving or pulsating, same with dipping the clutch. Was perfect, was in a convoy with 2 other folk who got lost while driving home from Kingsbridge, and with alot of stop, start, no dip in brightness.

Well if you read my story, its available in hardback by Puffin at all good bookstores.

And really I have been baffled by this problem for so long now, had lots of diagnostic tests, alternator tests, battery tests... loads of tests. Its a wonder how all these garages cant seem to figure out something as basic as cleaning the TB out lol. Either way, I am happy for now, and would 10000000000% recommend cleaning the TB before doing anything else.

Edited by DarkStryder360

Going to give this thread a bump.

3 days ago cleaned out the Throttle Body, took off airbox etc, cleaned top and bottom of the 'butterfly'... after taking it off, with can of carb cleaner and a clean rag.

Then followed instructions on the can of Carb Cleaner to spray into the TB, while keeping the throttle at half depression. So mate gave a hand in spraying, did so until about to cut out then stopped spraying. Let the engine tick over for a while, then left the car to soak up the goodness.

Went for a drive, immediately noticed a difference:

Ignition was instant, usually I have to push the accelerator when key turned to get the car going, didnt need to.

Car was idling at a steady 8.-10. revs, as opposed to the usual randomness. And wasnt pulsating, or mini revving which sometimes happened.

Pulling away no juddering, or loss in power when depressing the accelerator.

Big challenge, dipping the clutch coming to a give way, stop, etc, and coming to low revs and 1st or 2nd gear. Usually the car drops its revs dramatically and then either shoots up to 10. revs, or just plain cuts out - this time, dip the clutch and went straight to 9/10. without any drama. Went for a drive, no drama car handled and drove well. I wasnt afraid for my life like I usually am when I set out in the tool.

Yesterday I gave it a nice challenge. Went from Plymouth to Kingsbridge, and around other random little towns via country roads, and it couldnt have been any better. Came to many situations where I had to emergency brake as there was a tool blazing it over a hill on a 1 lane country road etc, and dipping the clutch with force, and braking, didnt alter the car's performance at all.

Then came to driving in the night, usually with lights on you can see the heads dip and rise in brightness, when the car is mini revving or pulsating, same with dipping the clutch. Was perfect, was in a convoy with 2 other folk who got lost while driving home from Kingsbridge, and with alot of stop, start, no dip in brightness.

Well if you read my story, its available in hardback by Puffin at all good bookstores.

And really I have been baffled by this problem for so long now, had lots of diagnostic tests, alternator tests, battery tests... loads of tests. Its a wonder how all these garages cant seem to figure out something as basic as cleaning the TB out lol. Either way, I am happy for now, and would 10000000000% recommend cleaning the TB before doing anything else.

Glad you got it sorted, I know how good it feels to fix such a major problem for such a little cost (how much is carb cleaner, about £5?). I bet you are properly chuffed!?

Now if I could have the ISBN for the book please? :lol:

Edited by NOCK

I have had exactly the same problem over the past week (owned car 2 weeks), bit of a spaz when it comes to all this abbreviated and slang words for parts so could somebody tell me what to do to fix it?

Thanks, Matt

Right, this is basically what you do.

Check this how to: http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43238

Ignore anything that talks about the BMC, but follow the instructions for removing the air box.

When you get to the "Now you have to install the reducer ring on the throttle body, here is the throttle body width", instead of fitting any tubes or whatever to it, you take it off by un-clipping the sensor and then unscrewing it's four allen bolts on each corner of it. Then you use a cloth (or as my mechanic told me, my finger to get into the corner bits! (might want to use a glove if you are actually going to take that advice)), with some Carburettor Cleaner to remove all of the black stuff.

Hope that helps?

Glad you got it sorted, I know how good it feels to fix such a major problem for such a little cost (how much is carb cleaner, about £5?). I bet you are properly chuffed!?

Now if I could have the ISBN for the book please? :lol:

I love when things cost, well not alot, and to think I nearly spent out on new alternators and battery's is such a good thing to know. Plus its about 30 mins work a month to keep it clean and working fine, cant beat it! Suits my lazy lifestyle :lol:

And yeh couldnt be more chuffed although, how pathetic it seems, its like its not real. This is the best thing thats happened to the car, the fact it works and it doesnt seem real :D

Right, this is basically what you do.

Check this how to: http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43238

Ignore anything that talks about the BMC, but follow the instructions for removing the air box.

When you get to the "Now you have to install the reducer ring on the throttle body, here is the throttle body width", instead of fitting any tubes or whatever to it, you take it off by un-clipping the sensor and then unscrewing it's four allen bolts on each corner of it. Then you use a cloth (or as my mechanic told me, my finger to get into the corner bits! (might want to use a glove if you are actually going to take that advice)), with some Carburettor Cleaner to remove all of the black stuff.

Hope that helps?

cheers mate thats a lot easier for me to understand (being a car newbie and all that) will do it this weekend at some point and tell you how it goes

I love when things cost, well not alot, and to think I nearly spent out on new alternators and battery's is such a good thing to know. Plus its about 30 mins work a month to keep it clean and working fine, cant beat it! Suits my lazy lifestyle :lol:

And yeh couldnt be more chuffed although, how pathetic it seems, its like its not real. This is the best thing thats happened to the car, the fact it works and it doesnt seem real :D

:) Glad to hear you are chuffed. I doubt that you will have to do it every month, probably once every 3-4 months to be honest, depending on how you drive it, etc. Which is even nicer than 30 minutes per month. I had a heavy mileage 3 months a while ago and still think I could have got another couple of months out of it before it needed cleaning.

cheers mate thats a lot easier for me to understand (being a car newbie and all that) will do it this weekend at some point and tell you how it goes

Cool, once you've done it once you'll realise how easy it is. I am no mechanic either and I don't think twice about doing it now, it is ridiculously easy. Easier than changing a headlight bulb to be honest.

Edited by NOCK

• 1 year later...

Had this problem for the last week or so! so following your guide and advise I took it all apart and cleaned ****er in the freezing cold of my work car park! put it all back together and it now works like a charm! no more cutting out :swerve: thanks guys n girls :clap: its the power of a quick search in club lupo land! :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

My daughter’s Lupo started cutting out shortly after we bought it for her after she passed her test. No one seemed to know what the problem was. I spent a fortune between different garages to fix the problem but none of them were able to, though they were happy to keep taking my money. One day I had to call the RAC to my younger daughter’s car and I went out to “rescue” her in my older daughter’s Lupo. I mentioned the problem to the RAC guy, he took me to the side, opened the bonnet, took off the cover to the air filter thing and sprayed something down a hole. He said “problem fixed” and I thought “yeah sure, heard that before.” Incredibly it was fixed instantly and actually lasted for about 2 years.

Just a couple of nights ago I called the RAC to the Lupo as it had started cutting out again a couple of weeks ago and was now refusing to start. It turned out she needed a new battery, but I told him about the intermittent cutting out that had started again. I told him what the previous RAC guy had done and he very kindly did the same. He took off the air filter cover, sprayed throttle cleaner down the hole, got my daughter to hold down the accelerator while he cleaned it out with a cloth and hey presto it’s fixed again, hopefully for another couple of years.

Don't throw away your money on expensive fixes that don't work. Get yourself a can of throttle cleaner and do it yourself. The one that the RAC guy used was a German product called "Normfest VC980 DrosselKlappen-Reiniger" but I've looked to purchase it here in the UK and can't find it. I'm sure any throttle cleaner will do the job just fine.

Edited by MrsR