Can-bus

Highly doubtful you will be able to get one of those, the lupo has an extreemly small canbus suystem, its nothing like the systems in the later cars we see now.

I take it your trying to get the MK6 buttons on the steering wheel to work? I bought one with the blanks installed for the very same reason.

No, i'm trying to get a later spec headunit to work that runs on can-bus.

Won't the can-bus of the lupo work to switch the radio on/off which is what I need with the ignition or is it too basic?

I have found some emulator/simulators/adapters whatever there called but the ones I have seen are about £100 which is too much.

Ok John cheers, I suppose if I just knew where the can-bus wires ran if there are some then I could try and splice into them and try it out. I think there are normally 2 orange wires and are twisted together?

Edited by Motormouth

This Might help, these are the can bus wires that go in to the back for the dash panel insert.

Blue Plug

N90-0144.png

1 - Terminal 15, positive

2 - Right turn signal warning lamp

3 - E. speedometer output

4 - Not assigned

5 - Fuel gauge sender

6 - Airbag

7 - Sensor earth, terminal 31

8 - Coolant temperature sender

9 - Terminal 31, earth

10 - Oil pressure switch, high

11 - Speed signal

12 - Alternator warning lamp, terminal 61

13 - Glow period warning lamp or catalytic converter monitor warning lamp → Note

14 - Rear fog light warning lamp

15 - Not assigned

16 - Rear lid

17 - Main beam warning lamp, terminal 56a

18 - Left turn signal warning lamp

19 - Anti-lock brake system (ABS)

20 - Dash panel insert illumination, terminal 58d

21 - Driver door open signal

22 - Coolant shortage indicator

23 - Terminal 30, clock

24 - Terminal 31, earth

25 - Self-diagnosis, K wire

26 - Right parking light

27 - Left parking light

28 - E. speedometer input

29 - Brakes general

30 - S-contact

31 - Seat belt

32 - Side light warning lamp or exhaust emissions warning lamp

Green Plug

N90-0143.png

5 - EPS (electromechanical power steering) → Note

15 - EPC → Note

19 - CAN high

20 - CAN low

25 - Reset

26 - Ambient temperature → Note

27 - CAN high external

28 - CAN low external

John

Does anyone know where other than to the dash panel insert the can bus wires run? I take it they go to the ecu but do they go to anything else, has the lupo got a central convenience unit like the golf?

Where is the ecu on a lupo and does anyone have a wiring diagram for it? Just wondered where the can bus wires can be found easiest as it sounds a big job getting to the dash panel plug - is it?

Does anyone know the difference between can high can low and can high external can low external?

I think this may be High speed and Low speed Can, usually cars will have 2 CAN systems, running to different ECUs depending on the bandwidth they require. Not sure about the external bit though?

Thanks john will have a look.

James trying to fit the rcd200, nothing flash at the minute but the one I have runs on can bus think earlier ones didn't, if I can get this to work without buying an adapter might try and fit something better in the future. Suits the Lupo dash, plays mp3's and can't be arsed with having to detach a faceplate all the time.

Figured the wiring now as long as I can find the can bus wires, obviously want to find them closest to the stereo and on a connecting block so I can join the wires there without cutting the loom.

Has anyone got all the wiring diagrams for the Lupo GTi? Or if not just the pin identification for the ecu and convenience unit?

Have alook at this thread.

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57939&hl=rcd200&st=20

The convenience unit isn't actually a full system like a Mk4 Golf, only works wipers, locks etc.. Think it's called a central locking control module on a Lupo, very dificult to access, it is above the fuse box.

Have you looked on UKMKiv's? Quite alot of info on there.