Xenon Height Adjustment

For those interested...

A little while ago I had a xenon replaced due to a faulty high beam shutter.

The replacement unit was set a little lower than I usually have them, so I attempted to adjust it upward. When it got to a certain level, it went "Crunch" and adjusted it's self right down to the floor. After that it would no longer adjust! I was sure that they're not supposed to do that, so I took it back to the dealer who (eventually) got a further replacement in.

I tried adjusting this upwards, and sure enough when it got to a certain level... "Thunk" (note, not "Crunch"). It put the beam right to the floor again. However after this it could still be adjusted.

The original replacement should have gone "Thunk" not "Crunch" when it got to the level limit.

Only older xenons can be adjusted without restriction.

Newer xenons will flip up if you take them too low, or flip down if you take them too high.

You are meant to adjust the lights using a vw diag prog. ie vagcom. Because of the auto height adjuster, the lights have to learn the new setting. or you may adjust with ignition off. I've had to do it loads of times. Lucky i have vagcom. 8) i have had a fault come up before,saying "headlight out of adjustment" i let the controller relearn settings and it was ok.

no, thats how you adjust vertical and horizontal. And you still need to use vagcom. I says in the manual.

You connect to xenon range, and the motors wind to setup position. and then it says "adjust headlights". You then adjust them screws and then swithch to another block and the setting is "learned".

Very interesting indeed!

Although the xenon heights seem to be staying where they are without any changes using vagcom. Perhaps if I load up the back they'll try to adjust and go back to their 'default' settings...

I'd be interested to see this on VAGCOM anyway, so I might just have a look next time I'm around someone who has it.

They should stay where they are but when you adjust them they will want to move to their learned positons. And it also depends on how much fuel is in the car. depending where fuel Guage is, you have to add different weights.wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

`VAG-COM` isn't necessary to do adjustments, but it will put the xenons in their 'centre' position, which is the position where you should adjust them from to get the height vs. load ratings correct.

There's no problem inherently with adjusting the height without `VAG-COM`, it just means that if for any reason the xenons are out of their central position (i.e abnormal load in the boot) then they'll become incorrectly aligned when you put the car back to the standard setup.

The procedure for doing alignment with `VAG-COM` can be found here - however, without VW's calibration target, it's debatable how valuable this is.

You can adjust them without vag com - just use the screws. If you've got a newish GTI you might hit the height barrier though.

It's my understanding that you can use Vag Com to get them to the 'correct' height as specified by the factory. This will also align them obviously.

Oooooo very fancy these xenon's!! I'm impressed... Mine seem to be ok, though one is higher than the other.. but I don't fancy messing with screws n stuff.. all good biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />