front wheel squeeking! bearings??

Rudaz

hi, done a little search but doesnt seam to be that much on this topic..

i have a 'squeeking' noise coming from the front passenger side on my gti, it sounds like it is hitting one point on every rotation, so obviously when im going over 10mph its a constatnt squeek :) its ben going on for a while now, and i resolved it by turning up the music, but enoughs enough and i need to sort it, its the same in every gear, with the clutch down and if im going left right or straight. i have changed the pads and discs, this didnt make a difference and i couldnt see any obvious signs or rubbing or wear so must be 'internal' somewhere,

so to cut a long story short does this sound like it could be my wheel bearings and how much would i be looking at for this to be fixed??

i did read a post that mentioned it could be lower suspension arm bushes??? i have adjustable FK's if this matters.

thanks in advance danny

Sounds like a trapped stone in the caliper. Check both sides of the disc for a grooved line when the trapped stone is scratching the disc.

I had a very small stone in mine a while back, and had to take the pads apart to let it drop out.

Bearing whin and get louder with speed...........the wheel will also wobble when its jacked and move 12 to 6 and 9 to 3

Sounds like a trapped stone in the caliper. Check both sides of the disc for a grooved line when the trapped stone is scratching the disc.

I had a very small stone in mine a while back, and had to take the pads apart to let it drop out.

Bearing whin and get louder with speed...........the wheel will also wobble when its jacked and move 12 to 6 and 9 to 3

cheers. surley if it was a stone, when i changed the pads and discs it would have solved that problem :/

also forgive me for sounding thick but... 'and move 12 to 6 and 9 to 3' WTF lol

Edited by Rudaz

Stones can drop in when ever.....more so driving through puddles etc

When the car is jacked up, grab the wheel at those positions on a clock and see if there is any play. The wheel should be solid with no movement........if there is movement then your bearings are on the way out.

Stones can drop in when ever.....more so driving through puddles etc

When the car is jacked up, grab the wheel at those positions on a clock and see if there is any play. The wheel should be solid with no movement........if there is movement then your bearings are on the way out.

great thanks much appreciated ill check tomorrow. dont suppose you know any other ideas on what it could be if not either of those?...

Is the disc and caliper carrier on tight and more importantly flat when you put it back together.

Have you checked the drive shaft boots. If there is grease every one of them has popped, as it spinns at the same rate as the wheel and may be faulty .

Could be lots of things...........process of illimination dear Watson :)

yea they were flat when put back together,

might just whip it to VW and pay :( only problem is i need it daily and work 6days a week so cant really leave it with them :blush:

good job ive been saving for such an occasion :D