Easy Upgrades

DJ

OK ICE people just a general wonderment.

Is there a pair of good speakers that fit straight into the front and rear?

I am looking for a quick and easy way of fitting better speakers. Optimum sound is not my concern here as I was happy enough with the standard setup but would just like something a bit meatier!

Also tweeter replacement is not on my mind. I saw Tigz guide to fitting speakers using MDF and fiberglass but this is all a bit too much for what I want.

Muchos Gratias. DJ

I wouldnt replace the seakers matey, Id try amping what you already have mate, as the standard Blaupunkts are very good, just a little under powered.

Then if you find you still want to change, Id go for some Focals.

the MDF rings are the best solution for giving you a more solid sound though matey.

Doesnt take much work buddy.

Before i installed a full Kicker system i simply upgraded te standard front door speakers with Kenwood dualmags (oke it's been 3 years back now tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />). Simple straight fit, and much better sound.

The internal amp is one problem.

How it is wired up is another (the speakers are wired to show a 8ohm load to the amp, so only half power being used)

And the biggest problem is there isnt a high or low pass filter so you have no way of cutting out all the lower frequencies the speakers cant handle.

When I amp'd my standard componants they sounded fantastic when I cut off all frequencies below 80hz.

You using a standard head unit?

Yeah, fair enough the standrad ones are alright for standard, but you only need to look at the materials used for these and for upgrades to see the difference in quality. If you want speakers, you need 17cm ones (6.5").

All depends on what you want to spend on it.

There are many ways to get better sound, as not everyones an audiophile, any improvement will be welcome. I started by changing the head unit, then the components, then used an external amp as funds allowed. Each stage was significantly better than the last.

Yes but if you remmeber what mine sounded like when I had the standard speakers but upgraded the headunit?

It sounded worse than before.

You need an external amp.

Even with some real quality componants played through a head units amp it will always sound *****.

Im not recomending keeping the comps.

What Im saying is the best solution would be to replace the componants, and install an external amp, but if I had to choise one of them, it would be an amp every time.

No matter what speakers you fit, without a amp its not going to make very much diffrence.

Yeah, agree with that, if the signals crap going in then its gonna sound crap. Im thinking that maybe VW have changed the standard speakers at some point. My standards sounded dramatically better when i upgraded the headunit and had no amps.

QUOTE(Tigz)
Even with some real quality componants played through a head units amp it will always sound *****.

No matter what speakers you fit, without a amp its not going to make very much diffrence.

Not meaning to interupt here... but...

I have to disagree with you on these 2 points Andi biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> When I first had my new speakers, I had them running through my Pioneer headunit for a week (whilst waiting for my amp) but they were far from sounding ***** compared to my standard speakers!

On my old standard speakers, as soon as the volume was above a certain level they distorted and generally sounded horrendous, once I had my new ones, you could get up to the max. volume on the headunit with perfect quality sound - I mean yeah my headunit was running hot....but hey laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

As soon as they were powered by my amp - they sounded alot better again. But the intitial change between standard and new speakers is vast!

It does also boil down to how many sound settings you can adjust on your headunit.

Put it this way DJ, I spent £370 on my front speakers alone - you defo pay for what you get! Plus they are mounded outside of the door trim due to the depth of them, which also means more sound is actually put INTO the car, rather than through the doors to delight those people on the street laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Said my bit...I will now leave you all to it!!

QUOTE(aberdeen_dj)
Are they really that decent? Bass sounds terrible when turned up but thats just the amp is it?

You are not alone there DJ, my speakers are pathetic when it comes to reproducing lower range frequencies. I keep fiddling with HU bass setting all the time... sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Is there a cure for that?

Most componant speaker will sound ***** trying to play low frequencies, there not designed to play low down bass.

Thats what a subs for.

Lynsey Im not saying they'll sound ***** but compaired to standard speakers with plenty of juice (remember where talking about a standard VW headunit here) the standard componts amp'd up will sound better than a set of replacement componants run off the VW headunit.

If i ever get around to changing / upgrading the system further in my loop it will be Amp, then front components then sub....then if I was to keep upgrading, the headunit for another alpine with more fine tuning on it....

....as it happens, Ive got a budget alpine h/u standard fronts and some 6x9s to replace the standard rears and I love it.....if Im going fast I have it turned down low so I can hear the engine anyway, and If im on a long journey its never up too loud cos it does my head in. Its fine for what I need although Im a music freak so would like to upgrade at some point anyway cos I can appreciate the difference of a really good system.

Dan thank you!

Thats the point I was trying to make.

If you ever deside to upgrade, you can always build on a good amp.

I never was intrested in Audio untill I had an amp for the fronts.

Isnt there anyone you know that will let you connect them up to a proppa crossover and amp?

If you dont like it, you can always connect it back up again, and you'd be able to see for yourself.

Its a shame you couldnt take a listen to Lynseys system mate.

Sounds Sooooooooo good.

One of the sweetest Ive heard in a Lupo.

If you had the cash for those componants and an amp.

I think you'd be really happy.

You wouldnt add much weight.

And you could always get someone to install it.

I belive Snoop hired a pro and you can really tell with the qualty of the work.

Its doesnt have to be excessivly expencive.

Cheers for the advice people, cash is at a minimum at the moment a I just bought a flat and have to kit it out so expensive upgrades are definitely out the window.

I was just looking at fitting a 200 micro farad capacitor between the amp output on the head unit and the speaker, this would create a -6db crossover cheaply and easily and keep everything standard.

Total cost £5 for the best capacitors possible.

Cheers for the advice Lynsey. I don't want to spent that much though, to be honest I have a good system at home so one for the car isn't a top priority but I just hate the distortion of bass when I do want to listen to music in the car and I can believe that the standard spakers are of decent quality (not the best I know) but I just want to turn up the volume without having to set the bass to -5!

Thanks for the advice people!

QUOTE(Tigz)
Its a shame you couldnt take a listen to Lynseys system mate.

Sounds Sooooooooo good.

One of the sweetest Ive heard in a Lupo.

Thanks Andi biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

The amount I spent on it, I'm glad someone else likes it as much as me!!

It's my mission to of improved it more by the time I see you next Andi - although it depends if father christmas thinks I've been good enough laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />