Feels like I'm riding the clutch...

saint_david

...when I move up into 3rd gear in my car. The revs increase but theres little to no increase in power for a couple of seconds. IF it's the clutch thats going, is it expensive to fix? Could it be anything else? Car mechanics aren't my strong point... :)

Its an '03 Arosa 1.4 16v Sport

Is it soley in 3rd? What you are describing is the clutch slipping, but I wouldnt expect it just in third

Yes, the only time I'm noticing it is when I move up into third. Sometimes its worse than others or doesnt happen at all. I've had problems getting it into third after it went into a garage to have some work done about 18 months ago, but the clutch slipping only started about a week or two ago.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Since the original post the clutch started slipping in all gears. Driving home this evening it became increasingly difficult to get it in gear until it became impossible so I had to pull over. The actual clutch pedal had sunk to the bottom of the floor and wasn't going anywhere - I ended up calling my recovery service who towed the car to a local garage (who were shut - it was about 6pm).

The recovery truck driver phoned me this evening and said that he'd had a look himself as the garage was shut and some sort of plate underneath the car was missing. He asked if I'd seen anything on the floor where it had broken down, like a metal plate or a bolt, but I hadn't seen anything. He seemed to think that this was the cause of the problem and that the clutch itself didn't need replacing.

Can anyone shed any light on what the plate he was talking about might be? And could the clutch actually be ok and the problem (clutch slipping, pedal sunk and difficulty getting it in gear) be something else?

p.s. when I phoned the garage where the cars been taken to to get a price for a new clutch, they quoted £330 fitted :(

Edited by saint_david

Sounds sort of like a pedal box, the clutch should be fine, but that needs replacing, is the pedal loose, or it is stiff to move?

Its sunk so low to the floor there's hardly any room to push it down. It wasnt stiff to move or loose before I lost the ability to put it in gear either.

Hmm, i know that when the pedalbox goes, that will happen, its because of the part that all pedals attach to bends/snaps, if you have access to the vehicle, you may be able to see that..?

Hmm, i know that when the pedalbox goes, that will happen, its because of the part that all pedals attach to bends/snaps, if you have access to the vehicle, you may be able to see that..?

It's parked outside the garage for the weekend and I'm going away tomorrow so looks like I'll have to wait until Monday for a diagnosis. Do you know if the pedal box failing would have been causing the clutch to slip prior to what happened today?

the pedal box is a very well known fault in lupos, get it to a dealer and ask them about doing it for free.

There isn't a main seat dealer in Swansea unfortunately.

TBH if this is going to cost a lot, It probably makes more sense to put the car up for sale.

Heard from the garage this morning. Apologies if the following doesn't make sense, I'm repeating what I can remember being told plus I don't really understand it anyway.

Apparently the release bearing in the clutch had seized up which had done something pretty bad to the clutch pressure plate. This then resulted in the clutch cable being pulled through the pedal box which is also knackered.

Result: Need a new clutch, pedal box and clutch cable to the tune of £550.

bummer, really sorry to hear about that,,,,, i no my reverse is a nightmare to get in sometimes and have to be agressive with it, that worrys me, its always been like that so i ignore it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,