Lupo - common problems or faults??

oohweewee

Hi,

i believe the mane issue/fault with the model you are looking to purchase is that it isnt a GTI, this is a problem that will effect everyone in your situation. Dont be upset at this news though as there are a few lupo gti's going on pistonheads at the moment.

Kind Regards

Hi,

i believe the mane issue/fault with the model you are looking to purchase is that it isnt a GTI, this is a problem that will effect everyone in your situation. Dont be upset at this news though as there are a few lupo gti's going on pistonheads at the moment.

Kind Regards

:blink: ?

Pedal boxes, gearboxes, potential oil usage issues, rust on the roof gutters, coil packs. Pleanty of info on here for all of them if you have a search

i think he was tryin gto poke humour upon you for getting a non gti..

but tbh non gti's look better than gti's when modified properly imo

and defcom pretty much covered all the common faults...

and if youre looking for a sport make sure it is a sport..ie rear brake discs ,front fogs, centre exit exhaust, electric mirrors, alot of folk confuse the "s" models in thinking the s means sport

don't bother unless you are good at fixing cars

I think that is a little harsh, they do have problems but so do most cars after a few years.

Some models are more badly affected with problems than others. I think the consensus is that the 1.4 16V Sport and 1.4 E and S models tend to give the most problems. Whereas the TDI Sport and GTI seem to be the most robust.

As previously mentioned, gearboxes and pedal boxes are weak. You should also be careful that the car has had a cambelt service as these have been known to fail early generally accepted interval is 40,000miles. In fact as with any car a full service history is important. Some 1.4 engines have suffered wear and have either had to be rebuilt or replaced, look for black dots from the exhaust on the back of the car.

Check the electric windows work normally, VW electric windows have a weak component that results in the glass dropping.

Check the door straps, if the door creaks loudly when opened then the straps need to be replaced, there is a "how to" guide on here it is not a big job but can be used as a bargaining point.

It is also worth checking the condition of the exhaust system, some of the earlier cars are over 10years old now and they have been know to drop.

• 2 years later...

I struggled myself to find a well looked after TDI or a sport in that case so I gave up ,,so I settled for 1.4s in the end which is a nice balance and not to under powered for my needs but depend what you intend in using for ,if its a every day driver racking allot of miles commuting the TDI or SDI no brainier MPG ,,but ive heard the SPORTS tend to be not so fuel efficient :(