de-grading brakes

pandatdi

hey people, ive just got some 13" alloys for my tdi and im wanting to fit the smaller brakes.

a guy i was talking to told me that if i fit the smaller brakes and calipers that the caliper will still sit in the same place and i still wont be to fit the alloys.

is this correct?... cheers

im just going to fit the brakes from the 1.4 petrol i think they are 239mm wheras mine are 256mm so hopfully the 13s will fit because i dont wont to go any bigger lol

i dont drive my car hard or out just low and slow so hopfully the brakes will be alrite..

im just going to fit the brakes from the 1.4 petrol i think they are 239mm wheras mine are 256mm so hopfully the 13s will fit because i dont wont to go any bigger lol

i dont drive my car hard or out just low and slow so hopfully the brakes will be alrite..

You will have to change the uprights/hubs to the 1 litre type as the brake caliper mounts are cast into the housing rather than bolted on. Its a very odd step to make as the brake effieciency will be down on the vehicle weight when it comes to MOT time or even hard braking, like on a motorway to standstill.

I would stick to the brakes you have and compromise on the wheels rather than the bits that stop you!

You will have to change the uprights/hubs to the 1 litre type as the brake caliper mounts are cast into the housing rather than bolted on. Its a very odd step to make as the brake effieciency will be down on the vehicle weight when it comes to MOT time or even hard braking, like on a motorway to standstill.

I would stick to the brakes you have and compromise on the wheels rather than the bits that stop you!

i really want to fit 13s lol will there be much difference in weight to a 1 litre? i have no rear seats or spare wheel lol

shave the calibers down and get some spacers?? im sure thats what my mate did to fit his 13" classics to his sport :)

thats what wheels i have but i think there is about nearly 20mm to shave of. i have a set of 10mm spacers like.