What a dumbass...

Cleaned the car today, thought I'd check the oil too. I had everything open anyway as I was drying with a chamois, so I pulled out the dipstick, and it was just a little low. Thought I'd better top it up to be on the safe side, so I replaced the dipstick, took the cap off, placed it on the engine cover, and went in to the garage to get some oil.

Looked for 5 mins, couldn't find any oil, so I went outside and finished off and took a drive to halfords. Got some oil, popped the bonnet...

Arrrgh!!! No filler cap!

I've had a good look around the engine bay but it's nowhere to be seen, so I'm guessing it's dropped out the bottom somewhere.

I'll be getting a new one on Monday - and I'll be driving it as little as possible before then - anyone got any suggestions of what I should do in the meantime?? (To stop any oil splattering the bay and stop any unwanted debris finding it's way in..?)

John it is possable that a petrol filler cap you can buy from petrol staitions will fit the hole.

You know which ones I meen? There normally green in colour.

It works on vans, and Id imagen it'll do it in a car also, Ive never looked at the oil cap on the Lupo.

Worth a try mate.

Thanks for that lads - thought about a cloth, but also thought about why that might not be such a good idea - I really don't want *anything* going down that hole, lint etc included. TBH it would probably be ok, but I'd rather not.

Had a thought about what you said Andi, I might just try pinching the cap off the caddy at work until I get a new one - that won't be used for the early part of next week anyway.

Yeah, make up 3 sets of random letters/numbers wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

For reference, that part appears to be specific to the GTI. Assuming it's right, of course laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />