interest in bearing mounted adjustable wishbones

Toi gulp

I have sent my old wishbone off to Compbrake to see what can be done in improving the wishbone design in terms of removing the bushes and making them adjustable.

Its early days at the moment but i am looking into getting at least one pair made up that mount to the chassis via spherical bearings / rose joints and if possible and cost effective make the ball joint adjustable for camber and castor.

what i would like to know is how many enthusiasts out there would also like a set for their lupo, polo arosa etc..... I will return with a price when they have looked into whether an existing design of theirs can be adapted to suit or whether a complete re-design is needed.

watch this space!

if you had an all new alloy wishbone with rose joints designed then i think it would be worth while, but using the existing wishbone wouldnt really be worth the effort imo

I know where your coming from as modifying the existing wishbone would be rather limiting as you just dont know what its capable of. its looking more than likely that they would make a copy of an existing jig to suit the vw dimensions and manufacture a new wishbone. it is cost driven so if people show more interest in a completely new design then that could work out more cost effective than just modifying the standard ones (saves having to free issue supply a batch of wishbones too)

Well provided the whole unit weighs less than the standard setup im interested.

I wouldnt count on many people being interested on here though, less than a hand full i would say. Only people will be all the peeps from overseas that have bought the LSD's.

The other thing i need to look into is the weight of Tarox 6 pots with 280mm disc compared to standard size setup.

I've spoken to comp brake again, and there are two options a complete re-design which would cost up to around £300 fully rose jointed with adjustable ball joint no exact details yet but the more likely option is modifying the standard wishbone with race bearings and an adjustable ball joint to give different camber and track. this would be close to £200. when they actuall have a design and i've ordered some i can post more details.

Can I ask why your wanting the adjustable wishbones?? Also adjustable in which way??

If your going do the spherical and rose joint route then pay lots of attention to the subframe, its not upto the pounding the bearings will submit it to on road use. The front mounts will start to split the weld.

Can I ask why your wanting the adjustable wishbones?? Also adjustable in which way??

If your going do the spherical and rose joint route then pay lots of attention to the subframe, its not upto the pounding the bearings will submit it to on road use. The front mounts will start to split the weld.

I'm actually not that fussed about the adjustable side of things. I'm realy after doing away with the bushes so the car inspires moe confidence for track use. but the advantage of adjustable ball joint will give track and camber adjustment. (As finding the correct ball joint anywhere else than vw is a pain). I am concious of the subframe taking more load so when i can i will pop up to combrake to discuss it with them and show them the car.

I'm actually not that fussed about the adjustable side of things. I'm realy after doing away with the bushes so the car inspires moe confidence for track use. but the advantage of adjustable ball joint will give track and camber adjustment. (As finding the correct ball joint anywhere else than vw is a pain). I am concious of the subframe taking more load so when i can i will pop up to combrake to discuss it with them and show them the car.

I think you would be better off going down the route of fitting poly bushes to a strengthened VW component, then have your faby guys make a ball joint adaptor to contvert the VW 3 hole fitting to a rose jointed ball end. It would be fine to use the ball joint at that point as the poly bushes would help reduce the shock loadings.

As for camber, unless you are planning on a true wishbone then setting that correctly will be a nightmare, you will have camber, castor and toe all capable of incorrect adjustment from that one wishbone.

I would stick to as above, I have been there and done that and had the hassle, Many times!

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

very true, i also need to make sure that the suspension travel wont exceed the bearings rotation limits, not as simple as it looks. if only the ball joint is adjustable in width wise maintaining the track measurement should be simple enough and i wouldnt go anymore than standard as could have potential issues with the allready naff driveshafts. And its unlikely that camber would go beyond 1.5 deg anyway. I'd rather increase caster more than anything but i think that would be extremely difficult to accurately measure and keep consistent.

considering how easy changing wishbones is it could only be a mod for trackdays alone...................

When I built the race cars we stuck with standard VW wishbones, ball joints but uprated the bushes to poly, The biggest change that really made a difference was fitting the adjustable top mounts, this give camber and castor, which is ideal for track days as you can mark the top for road and also for track, so simple fast setup changes!

You will easily get 3+ degrees of neg camber so far more than you will need and cheaper than having custom wishbones made.

Not necesarily cheaper, adjustable top mounts are £175 + delivery then plus the bushes and necesary tools (if any) to get the buggers out that still comes to a good £215-225. you then would have to remove both the strut and the wishbone to do powerflex and top mounts. Whereas adjustable wisbone only necesitates removing said item

I think this could ultimately boil down to personel preference as there would be very little in it with cost (assuming Compbrake are correct in saying modified wishbones would be in the region of £200) The obvious downside of course is you either buy new wishbones and send them off swaying the cost argument or immobilise your car for a week while the origional ones are modified.......

I take it thats all the racing versions had done to their front suspension then? i can look in my BTC spec for more info, what geometry did they run, ride height, bump stops, anti-roll bars......

I take it thats all the racing versions had done to their front suspension then? i can look in my BTC spec for more info, what geometry did they run, ride height, bump stops, anti-roll bars......

I would be interested to see this info for my track project also if you could.

Kind Regards

Garry