Gorilla Pod

macaloon

Hi

im after some advice ive been looking into getting a smallish tripod which can be taken on holiday without the obvious size issues... after looking online the best recommended one appears to be jobys gorilla pod

http://joby.com/gorillapod/slrzoom/

has anyone on here used one i like how they can be used on varys unlevel surfaces which a normal tripod cant be used on and hung from branches and railing

just really wondering if you have used one is the grip on things tight will it be good for general use and for use at car shows??

any advice or other recomendations are much welcome

cheers

I've got one, used it with my DSLR, so it can take a bit of weight. Got it new off eBay for about £18 I think.

Brilliant little thing. :)

Great for taking on holidays and things where you don't want to take a big tripod, and can just leave it attached to the camera while it hangs round your neck.

Obviously if you're shooting from a flat surface, you're not going to get much height, so all your photos will be ground level if you were somewhere like a car show.

i had thought about the height issue.....

it might be worth getting a normal tripod for car shows and when its being used on a flat surface and the gorillla pod for holidays were space is an issue

mark is right tho they are very cool !!

Edited by macaloon

Had mine for a while now. Make sure you get the one suited to your camera as the little ones won't hold a DSLR or even a larger digital camera.

You can also get an adjustable head to fit between it and your camera for tilting etc.

R

i was going to get the slr-zoom version so it can carry up to 3kg of kit

and the joby ballhead so i can tilt the camera up and down when needed

cheapest ive found is £74 for the pod and ballhead seems pricey but compared to bigger tripods its quite good value i think

i was tempted to get an original as they are very cheap but i often use quite long glass upto 300mm so im worried it will tip on the normal one

have you tried it with a longer lense?

id imagine a 500d isnt much heavier than a 400d.... if any extra weight at all

i BOUGHT (not brought as some like to spell it) a cheaper version for £2 delivered. its ace! as its only for my compact digital camera it does the job spot on. i dont think it would support a slr tho.

however if you cant decide if you want one or not, why not try the £2 one and if you like it and wont a larger one buy another, if you dont its only cost £2.

its here VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PORTABLE-Flexible-Mini-Tripod-fit-ALL-Digital-Camera_W0QQitemZ270471123762QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_TripodsSupports?hash=item3ef955d332

• Like 1

I have the SLR one and it holds my eos450D no problem at all. Great little thing, weighs nowt, extreemly flexible, can take it anywhere. Ive seen mine wrapped round lamposts and still holding on no bother. Would defo recommend them.