Cams? What options do I have?

TomStevo

people are running supercharged ones at 195odd bhp with just decompressions plates, so surley if they are only lowering the compression ratio wont they only be putting less stress on the pistons rods and crankshaft? surley a decomp plate wont effect the head in any way?

plus if it all goes tits up then i have a reason to put a gti engine in dont i lol, or i may look at getting a sport head

please correct me if i am wrong on the above

Edited by TomStevo

people are running supercharged ones at 195odd bhp with just decompressions plates, so surley if they are only lowering the compression ratio wont they only be putting less stress on the pistons rods and crankshaft? surley a decomp plate wont effect the head in any way?

plus if it all goes tits up then i have a reason to put a gti engine in dont i lol, or i may look at getting a sport head

please correct me if i am wrong on the above

Even if you are wrong you've got the right idea with the gti lump, and someone correct me if i'm wrong but the sport head is the same as the 75hp models, the only internal difference is the inlet cam, which you'll be chaning anyway. And come on mate this is a fiat your talking about, get a grip man!

Edited by bobbo

For the cost involved in tuning yours, and the gains achievable if staying N/A then GTi lump is the obvious choice from the start tbh. I've 'been there' and 'done that' with smaller engines before, 1242's, and spent lots of cash but there's no replacement for displacement. It's nice to think you're pushing the boundaries and doing something no one has done before, but you have to ask why it hasn't been done - in most cases it's just not cost effective.

Of course it's your money and up to you how you spend it.

• Like 1

And come on mate this is a fiat your talking about, get a grip man!

Get a grip why? Engine tuning is engine tuning. It was an example.

You need to get a grip if you think spending £1500+ on a 1.4 16v road car is worthwhile to achieve ~100bhp when there are better £ for bhp options.

• Like 1

there may be better £ per bhp options yes, that is apparent, but what does a decent gti engine for for? about £1000 i could guess at with all ancilaries, then you have to think about the wiring loom, fitting it, then theres driveshafts as am sure the gti will have diff/stronger driveshafts, than i will have to but new wheels coz i will need gti brakes and its a tight squeez at the moment

how much then, do you lot recon a gti conversion can be done, PROPPERlLY, not some pikey job? thats with the engine, all ancileries, wirings sorted, engine fitted and any driveshafts ect that need changing

baring in mind aswell i already had brakes sorted if i am going to cam the 1.4, with drooved disks, better pads, and braided brake lines

there may be better £ per bhp options yes, that is apparent, but what does a decent gti engine for for? about £1000 i could guess at with all ancilaries, then you have to think about the wiring loom, fitting it, then theres driveshafts as am sure the gti will have diff/stronger driveshafts, than i will have to but new wheels coz i will need gti brakes and its a tight squeez at the moment

how much then, do you lot recon a gti conversion can be done, PROPPERlLY, not some pikey job? thats with the engine, all ancileries, wirings sorted, engine fitted and any driveshafts ect that need changing

baring in mind aswell i already had brakes sorted if i am going to cam the 1.4, with drooved disks, better pads, and braided brake lines

You don't need to justify it to me, nothing much mod wise if financially sound anyway.

As for doing it on a budget I would assume you would DIY the conversion but if you're paying labour charges then forget about it...

It just seems like an expensive way to get 100bhp considering, and even then it's not going to be quick :(

Edited by richie.guy

You want a Polo GTI engine, not a Lupo GTI engine. Polo ones are a straight fit, Lupo ones need subframes and things, and you'll end up with a widetrack chassis with narrow wings, so you'll struggle with wheels and rideheight.

Sure there's a Lupo GTI engine for sale on here for £250 though.

You can' pick up a whole Polo GTI for £2000, so I'd imagine the engines aren't too expensive.

well me and my dad could do and engine swap, depending how easy it was to be done, if i can plug the gti engine loom into the 1.4 interior loom, of its split that is then ad imagine it would be piss ball, however if splicing of looms is needed i wouldnt try it in a millions years,

either way i am interested to see what these engines can take, and the only way to find that is to push it over its limit :D yes if it all goes tits up then i could end up having wasted alot of money, if it all goes to plan then it will be a quick n/a 1.4s lol

i would have thought u lot wa sick of all this i want a gti engine in my 1.4, i want a 1.8t engine bla bla when 9/10 it never happens

i have found a new love for lupos, havin spent 2 years ''cleaning'' my 106 with alot of money spent and alot of custom work done i got a lupo as a run about and tbh fell inlove with it, lol i am now thinking of selling the 106 and goin all out on the lupo, i want to see what this engine can take then, then look into a 1.8t or a vr6, but if i go down that route it will be a long time away as for a start insurance wont touch me, and if i do go down that route it will be a diy job as i hate ''bought cars''

for me pay for what i have done to my 106 i would have been lookin at a body shop fee of around £2000 maybe more, the car is now ready for paint and has cost around £2000, thats including the price of the car, full gti bodykit, 15x8 rsl cults, full half leathers, all the custom work and lots of little bits and bats

if i do cam it there for i will be doing it myself, once i know whats needed i will be on it, i have a friend who is a mechanic so will come help me with the timing, and me and my bro as pretty close with a buy who is an amazing mapper so i recon i can get it done quite cheap

End of the day, higher displacement engines of similar spec will have more power, it's your choice, but i think above is good advice.

You could convert the car to a Polo GTi engine for < £1000.

You could convert the car to a Polo GTi engine for < £1000.

You'd be lucky at that mate! A decent lump will set you back about £400, then theres the loom to find and all the fitting then the map. Not to mention that you'd still need a throttle body and inlet manifold plus the exhaust manifold and air filter/induction kit. Your also playing a fair gamble when buying an engine when you've never seen it running! I seem to remember a member off here starting a polo gti conversion and sacking it off for some reason (cant remember who but nordubs comes to mind).

Personally i think what the OP is suggesting is an awesome idea, the basics of the engine is the same as the sport so when he uprates to the same and above that standard i think a decent gain can be made, well above the 100bhp that people are saying is all he can gain.

And the Fiat quote, dont take me seriously, just being a vdub snob

I know of at least 2 Polo GTis within 10 miles of my address for sale for circa £1000, both running perfectly well, one involved in a light accident.

You could have the brakes off it whilst you're there...

If you're already handy with cars, then I'd go completely different and put a 1.8t in it...

If I didn't already have a full restoration project, and could run another car in the meantime, this is what I'd do.

Cams etc will be expensive and knock you up to Sport level performance... but hey, I've modified cars in the past and learnt a lot from it, so why not?

a polo gti damaged can be found for as little as £700 i know of one now, the whole lot fit's straight into the lupo i mean everything , wiring front to back inc all fittings and switches, all thats needed is the headlight wiring plugs swapped and the rear light plugs and also the central locking is different, do it in a weekend.

hmm, in that case a polo gti engine is on the table, which polo gti are we on about?

and dont lupos engine loom disconnect from the interior loom? if so could i not jus put the polo engine loom on the lupo interior loom?

and tbh thinking about it now i know an auto electrician, who could probz splice a loom for a decent price, saving me ripping my lupo apart to swap to the polo loom,

knowing that tho i still think i may cam the lupo and see what its like, end of day the full set up will take up a month wages and should still leave me petrol money, plus i have alot of 106 stuff that i can sell for decent money, i could probz cam it from the money i sell the 106 bits for, i have already bought an AFH Inlet manifoold, off to scrapper on friday to try and find a tb, gonna whack that on end see how that improves respinsivness as i doubt it will effect bhp and if it does wont be noticable, and starting on my lunch tmoz i am researching about polo gti engines, and decent mods for those, along with prices of them :D

right, think am decided, cam this engine, have a bit of fun with it, then buy a polo gti like a cat d one of something and leave the engine in that car, build the engine in that car with cams and tbs, head work, maybe forged pistons for a full hi comp set up, wack the lupo engine out when thats done, spend a few days smoothing the bay and hiding things, and swopping the gti loom over and any connectors tht need changing, then in with the engine then down for mapping,

obviously befor all this i will need alot beter brakes than 1.4s brakes and bigger wheels to accomodate bigger and better brakes lol

and i would go that route and not boosted coz i love the look, sound and have been in a tb'd 106 and a tb'd clio 172 and it felt awsum! lol and i love the look of tb'd bays :D it all about how the bay looks lol

Smooth bays make it a show car rather than a drivers car though.

Whats the point in spending a wad of cash of the engine, if you cant thrash it down a nice road without the fear of the bay cracking. :coffee: