Water Loss

Primmy

Hi,

I have a strange and worrying situation...my 2001 Arosa Tdi has been into the garage twice now to investigate my water loss issue. There is a loss of coolant but no leaks - anywhere and the temp stays rock solid at 90. I have changed the expansion bottle and and cap - no effect. The garage added some dye to the coolant but they cant find any leaks...

I have done an oil change and there is no mayo in the oil, its all clean. the only other symptom is an increase in fuel consupmtion - normally 350-370 per tank now its around 320.

The garage thinks it could be HGF but without taking it all apart they cant say for sure...

Does anyone have any other ideas? Change the temp sender/thermostat?

How much should i budget for a HG change? Should i get the waterpump done as well as the cambelt?

thanks!!

Hi,

I have a strange and worrying situation...my 2001 Arosa Tdi has been into the garage twice now to investigate my water loss issue. There is a loss of coolant but no leaks - anywhere and the temp stays rock solid at 90. I have changed the expansion bottle and and cap - no effect. The garage added some dye to the coolant but they cant find any leaks...

I have done an oil change and there is no mayo in the oil, its all clean. the only other symptom is an increase in fuel consupmtion - normally 350-370 per tank now its around 320.

The garage thinks it could be HGF but without taking it all apart they cant say for sure...

Does anyone have any other ideas? Change the temp sender/thermostat?

How much should i budget for a HG change? Should i get the waterpump done as well as the cambelt?

thanks!!

Hmmmm not the place for technical queries then....

Get them to get the emissions tester over the coolent tank, if its reading alot of Co2 if could be the head gasket/cracked head, I`d try a different garage tbh.

Edit: yes change the water pump along with cambelt.

Edited by lupoluke

i did wonder if it was the heater matrix but it blasts out loads of hot air! The garage put some dye in the system so i am off to Maplins to get a UV light keyring (£5) to see if i can find out where its going....cant really afford the £800 the seat garage wants!!!

£40 for a headgasket from ECP so god only knows where the other 750 quid is going....