Gti Wheel Hub Ahhhhh :(

hello all. i just had my front brake pads replaced on my gti at kwik fit. the guy their then said he was concerned as two of the nuts wont tighten up to the correct torque. basically they are meant to be at 100 apparently, and the two that wont tighten correctly are spinning at 70 and 90. the other two he has done to 120 to hopefully keep the wheel on but it really weird. the are tightening but they just wont get that little extra. when the bolts are out they are fine and the thread is good on them, im gunna try two new bolts and see if they make a difference but that asside it can only possibly be the hub. im guessing the previous owner over tightened them at some point as the milage is so low at 25k it couldnt be wear and tear. im worried now as its approaching xmas and i know this is gunna be expensive. anyone know where i can get a new one or second hand one in good nick? also how much is this likely to set me back. all thoughts and inputs appreciated. thanks. oh and its the front drivers side if that helps??

well the 4 bolts on that wheel are the same length and two are catching properly and the other two aint. i have some longer bolts i will try. the thing is they do tighten but they just dont reach that final torque, they just feel like they will keep spinning and surely that can only mean the hub is slightly stripped? i know 120 is too high it should be at 100 but we wanted to make sure the wheel doesnt pop off at high speed. i am confused.com

Edited by hunid-brake

Basically, you have 2 stripped threads, new BOLTS(not nuts) might cure it.... Is one of them the locking bolt??

Amazed the '''Technicians''' at Kwick Save told you, Thought they just zing'd them up with the impact gun.

The bolts should be torqued to 100nm, I go to 90nm as it's plently for me, I already have a set on M12 Helicoils for when I strip one.

Get it sorted, as its dangerous!

I HATE WHEEL BOLTS..... I don't care what nfbr says. Studs FTW!!

Edited by 99hjhm

kwik fit were really quite cool about it. he said he has never used a gun to put bolts on (he was quite an old boy) and always used the manual torque bar instead. you say you put yours to 90 well shouldnt my wheel be ok then if 2 are at 120 1 at 90 and the other odd at 70? what sort of labour charges am i looking at for putting a new hub on. also you say yours cost 50 bar, was the including vat and do they deliver? feel abit worried now as lets say ive been traveling fairly fast sometimes :s. dont want that bad boi comin off. thanks for your help guys.

The ones @70 and 90are doing FO!

I would phone a few garages/engineering shops, see if anybody could Helicoil it on the car.

Or do it yourself.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M12-Helicoil-Thread-Repair-Kit_W0QQitemZ270466677796QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item3ef911fc24&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

???

And before anybody starts, Helicoils are far stronger than the threads in those hubs!

nutsack, ok thanks for your help dude. they must have been like this since i got the car a few months back so will stupidly assume they should hold out if i drive steady. this is my only means of transport and need it for work. i will ask about and get quotes this weekend. may thanks to all