I don't like it. I LOVE it!

After much debating and reading I finally made the big move, and purchased a pair of Resonant Engineering RE series component speakers. Plus a rather hefty amp to run them. A Tru Technology `T-2`.100 .

I went over to Milton Keynes to Blade Ice, run by Am. Who if you didn't know is one of the soundest people you will ever meet!

Components link: http://www.bladeice.co.uk/compre.htm

Amp Link: http://www.bladeice.co.uk/truampt.htm

Just got home from the shopping trip.

Shopping.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

I made some custom tweeter mounts.

Tweeter.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Here is a mid, without its grill. Ok it doesn't look out of this world, but rest assured, the sound it makes is!

Mid.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

To mount these I made an MDF ring to attach the speaker to the plastic door panel as Andi did, but these RE comps kick like a bitch. So I had to make the mounting more solid.

So I attached a ring of mdf inside and outside the door skin, then another between the ring of mfd bolted to the door skin and door card to get the depth and basically bolted and used insane amounts of epoxy to bond them together to make a perfect mdf 'tube' for the speaker to sit in. Its rock solid and trust me the it doesn't rattle!

I mounted the crossovers in the space where the rear speakers used to live. With over 200w RMS going into the front speakers, you don't need rear speakers, you can hear the front speakers crystal clear anywhere in the car.

Crossover.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Here is the amp powered up. It looks like a space ship if you look through the window at night. Its temporarily placed in the boot till I do my boot build today. At about 9 am.

Tru.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

First impressions.

In a word, "WOW!". I really didn't think it could sound so good. I was under the impression that audio with this clarity and power was strictly a home hifi thing, but boy did it prove me wrong. The music is attention grabbing, because it is so warm and inviting.

The stereo imaging is spot on, listening to Led Zeppelin - The early days during the guitar solo's / instrumentals you can clearly pick out left and right channel sound.

The sound stage is really something that im trying to get my head around at the minute! All I can say is, its like sitting in a car that the interior is about 1.5 metres wide. But the sound, sounds like its coming from double that distance away, giving an impression of space and a really wide midrange.

The listening test was carried out without the sub in the car, I cant wait to hear it with deep bass..

Your fellow insomniac. 3:01 am.

Dan.

Looks good! like what you have done with the tweets, neat. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> I'm gonna try and figure out my boot build today also. But my amp as alot bigger than that. 18" x 12" . And i still Want access to the Battery.Is theres a grommet or some protection aroumd the wire as it goes through the car and attaches the the crossover look as if it could chaffe? Any more pics of how you did the door cards. I need some ideas on how to do mine.

Andi, after pay day when I can afford to eat again and buy petrol. I will drive upto Rotherham and you can have a listen. The speakers should be run in then with that brute of an amp driving them..

The sub should be in the car by tonight! Thats my biggest hope. If it is, I might have to listen to the tunes all night long. Even if it drains the battery..

I will take some pics of the speaker mounts as soon as, have to take the door panels off to check the speaker cable is ok with the windw glass.

The crossover's main power cable now runs straight down from the mount, then comes into the car under the rear storage things that are either side of the seats. I just put the cable through to hear them, to check I had connected everything ok. It was all good wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

• 4 weeks later...