current shape polo gti

breamy

I currently have a lupo gti and im really craving something a bit nippier. i know on paper theres nothing between the lupo and the new polo but the 1.8t has plenty of potential.

Anyone have any experience driving the polo? how do they handle etc

cheers

Can Renaultsports offerings not tempt you?

Me and my mate went to look at some yesterday, a Clio 197 Cup F1 Team Renaultsport Edition Win thingy, and a Megane 225 F1.

The Clio was already falling apart after 6,000 miles and inside it felt cheap and nasty - bar the really nice Recaro seats

The Megane was quite smart but still felt a bit cheap, and the seats and dash were awful.

They may drive well but the rest of them didn't impress me.

Not been in 197 shape, but the interior of the 182 was awful, it may as well have been made of melted down lego, a common fault is the steering wheel melting for gods sake!

They are however (again I can only comment on the 182) absolutley fantastic to drive, so I suppose its what sacrifices you are willing to make - I dare say they will offer a better and quicker driving experience than any small VAG car, but you will never have the build quality that you get with a small VAG

I have a Polo GTI and have had a Lupo GTI so I feel I can give a fair comparison.

Firstly the Polo GTI is alot faster than the Lupo. Its also more refined on the motorways which was a plus for me. It grips well but I needed a set of coilovers to stop the body roll. I'm still on standard power and its enough for me at the moment, easily faster and better in gear performance than the Lupo. However the Lupo felt more special. It looks cooler than the Polo but the Polo is more grown up and a natural progression from the Lupo.

Heres some recent pics:

3706736957_2259d13c44.jpg

3706738949_e7aaeb90de.jpg

3706730229_91a00c7d4e.jpg

3706733547_1417e5e5ea.jpg

Any questions, just ask.

Oh and the Polo doesnt feel heavy at all :)

Edited by Grapo

Polo GTI

118 bhp/tonne

0-100 = 26.4 secs

60-100 = 17.5 secs

1/4 mile = 17.16

Lupo GTI

130 bhp/tonne

0-100 = 23.8 secs

60-100 = 15.6secs

1/4 mile = 16.43secs

In what situation in the current Polo quicker than tha Lupo? I think you are feeling the thump of the turbo rather than anything else, making you think its quicker

Polo GTI

118 bhp/tonne

0-100 = 26.4 secs

60-100 = 17.5 secs

1/4 mile = 17.16

Lupo GTI

130 bhp/tonne

0-100 = 23.8 secs

60-100 = 15.6secs

1/4 mile = 16.43secs

In what situation in the current Polo quicker than tha Lupo? I think you are feeling the thump of the turbo rather than anything else, making you think its quicker

I dont know where the hell you got those figures but they look way off to me! Did you use the mk5 Polo gti figures instead?

Pretty sure the curb weight is 1164kg, that would make the bhp/ton: 129bhp. The extra torque makes the in gear times significantly quicker.

Edited by Grapo

i reckon the figures are pretty much spot on. lupo might be slightly slower depending on fuel tank levels but look about right tbh.

if the polo was bossted and remapped am sure it would wee wee all over the wee loop though

Polo GTi - 148bhp - 1283kgs - 117bhp/tonne

Lupo GTi - 125bhp - 978kgs - 129bhp/tonne

BHP/tonne does not lie. I've driven both and I will admit the Polo *feels* faster... probably because of the turbo, they are quite laggy as stock.

Polo GTi - 148bhp - 1283kgs - 117bhp/tonne

Lupo GTi - 125bhp - 978kgs - 129bhp/tonne

BHP/tonne does not lie. I've driven both and I will admit the Polo *feels* faster... probably because of the turbo, they are quite laggy as stock.

Theres obviously different weights being quoted on the net.

I think the Polo has over 40 lb/ft of torque more than the Lupo. This will go some way to overcoming the weight problem. Anyway I'm not hear for an argument. Ive owned both, given my opinions, either take them or leave them.

I'm just quoting figures off the net... :)

I've driven both on test drives, and would take the Polo every time, mainly because even if the Lupo is faster in standard trim, you can spend 300 quid a re-map and get nearly 200bhp. The seats are lovely in the Polo too... if I had got in the Police when I applied I would've bought one!

Figures from http://www.letstorquebhp.com/fwd.asp

What feels faster, and what actually is faster are very different, especially between FI and NA engines.

That website is tosh to be quite honest. Just look at their supposed stats for the Polo GTI 1.6 v Lupo GTI. It has the Polo at 9.4 to 60 and the Lupo at 8.1. Its the same engine and the two cars have VERY similar performances. There is no way the old shape Polo GTI is over 1 second slower to 60 than a Lupo GTI.

That website just calculates everything, the figures arent real.

In that case my apologies, I struggled to find any figures from Parkers etc, saw the Lupo figures were correct and assumed they would be too.

The point about FI cars feeling faster due to a rush of torque still stands though