Engine Woes!

I got quoted 1400 for full strip down of the engine to replace bent valves. So a salvage engine was purchased for 280

I took the old cylinder head to the skip incidently

Hi All.

Been finding out a bit more, as not happy as to why the head was kippered!

Told it was down to "floating" head gasket blowing and was not uncommon, is this right.

If so any particular engine?

He's got a 1.4 e 2000 AHW engine

Cheers Nig

Oh and he's looking at a recon head, hopefully sorted.

these ahw engines are poor tbh, what were the symptoms

Loss of oil, although it was'nt really smoking and appeared to be running fine.

Engine shop said cause was probably an oil blockage to the head and cooked it!

A bit worried about our own, our engine is AVA, what else can we do except frequent oil changes?

Cheers Nig.

so was there oil contamination in the water? or vice versa, if you had little oil to the head was it rattling or tappy?

ahw engines have a habit of burning oil but it's quite visable tbh normally when on overun down hill or start up, out of 3 engines i have replaced all showed bore wear even low mileage engine seemed excessive.

so was there oil contamination in the water? or vice versa, if you had little oil to the head was it rattling or tappy?

ahw engines have a habit of burning oil but it's quite visable tbh normally when on overun down hill or start up, out of 3 engines i have replaced all showed bore wear even low mileage engine seemed excessive.

Ours smokes a little after short starts, but not noticed any smoke following the misses recently.

Does'nt use too much oil though, will be watching it like a hawk now tho!

Coolant was fine and no abnormal noises, but the recovery chap did say the oil was a bit foamy!

Think he was unlucky for it to wreck the head tho.