Losing MPGs!?!?

I drive an 04 Lupo SDI and recently had it serviced at VW. I was getting 330 - 360 miles to a full tank and the car has a set 15" alloys with 195x45 tyres and i have lowered it 40mm. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

At the time of the service the mechanic advised me to change all my tyres due to the fact that they were wearing low. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I got 4 195x50s put on the car due to the poor road which i travel to work on. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Now im lucky of i get 300 miles. I only managed 280 on the last tank. My tyre pressures are okay and i dont kick the sh17 out of it so can anyone help me out with advice before i take the car back to VW again??? sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Thanks - Ian

Are the standard wheels on an SDI 13" Steels? If so, what's the profile on standard tyres?

The fact that you have larger wheels all together on is probably putting the speedo out a fair bit, and also giving you a duff mileage rating. I think that's more likely to be the answer than anything else. You've increased the wheel size by 1cm in diameter for each wheel by your recent tyre change, while this might not seem a lot, the circumference (rolling radius) will have increased quite a bit as a result.

The fact that you're getting less mileage is almost certainly down to that IMO - although in actual fact you're probably travelling the same distance on a tank.

Clear?

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I knew when i put the 15" Kahns on with 195x45 rubber that it would reduce the mileage but i was happy with what i got out the tank at the time. Could the slightly different profile tyres change the MPG as drastically as it has or do you think there could be another problem?? sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> :? sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> :?

I recon so - is that the only thing that's been changed?

It's always best to keep the RR the same on a car, although for looks that obviously isn't an option.

You're not really doing that few miles per tank, the reading is probably way out by now. One thing I'd definately consider is checking your speedo - you don't want to be doing 100 when you think you're doing 85...

I only changed the tyres as soon as i got the car `serviced-could` vw have done something wrong???? sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Think your self lucky I got a 1.4 petrol and only got a lousy 270miles :!: to the tank load. the more I over fill to reach the nearest pound it works out better by being off the clock for longer. My wheels were still stock 175/70/13 but I just put some alloys on today of 195/50/15 I'll let you know if I get more miles in a week sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

• 5 weeks later...

right ur saying u had 15*45*195 tyres then u changed to a 15*50*195 well acording to the tire size calculator from the amount that u have changed the tires in that change u knocked the speedo out by 7% which means at 60mph on the dial ur doing nearly 65 , and if ur standards were a 175/70/13 and now ur running a 15*50*195 that means ur only running a total of 3.5% so ur only doing 62.5 when showing 60 . dont worry mate just finished doing the old how many miles to a tank and with the one litre on the redline of empty i filled the car as far as it would go ( only 27.6 litres and only £22 i have got 254.3 miles and i need to get more cause its back on the line again