Chassis Mod

Tigz™

I forgot to take some mate, I'll upload them all when I get from London tomomrrow and I'll take a pic on Sunday on how low you can drop it with it done.

Because Ross cant make it on Sunday, me and Max wont be able to resist taking the ajusters and bump stops off! lmao

Gettin so excited.

When I get home from the garage, my coilovers will be here!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They cost me £550 from Auto Concepts.

Arrived in time as promised, great customer service.

Venom do them a little cheeper, but customer service is more important to me than saving 20 quid.

Just got back.

This is not a job to do on your own, or if you get frightened easily.

Inside the box section is crap loads of wax oil.

To those who dont know this stuff is as flamable as you can get, all I was thinking was if the catches fire again I'll never live the shame down lol

Anyway.

Didnt get many pics as we only had 2.5 hours to get it done so it was all hands on deck, but its quite simple. If your alright with a grinder (my job) and a Mig welder.

Marked up the shape useing the pipe and the depth of each side (its narrower the further forward you go) then off to the vice to grind out the shape.

While I was doing this, Derren started cutting the arch shape out of the chassis leg.

He used a drill to get the shape, and was going to use a burner untill we saw the amount of wax, so it got finished with the drill also.

Next job was to remove all excess wax, and remove the rubber grommets incase we need to put out any fires in the box section.

Spot welded the cut out section of pipe, then shaped the 3mm thick piece to the leg.

Quick check and he seam welded it up.

Needs two of you, as one needs to be fire watching from start to finish.

Once all the seams were welded, we cut out a plate, to replace the strenthaning plate we had to cut through.

Next job was to grind down the plates, to try and hide the welds alittle (still 18 months warrenty remember!

Just picked up a can of stone chip paint to cover the arch before painting it.

I'll be doing this tomorrow once the susspention arm is removed to fit the coilovers.

As I said, it is a REALLY worrying job but well worth it. Ever guy in the garage was giving the useal "never gonna pass an MOT" so first thing Monday, I'll be putting it through an MOT just to shut up the doubters.

Supprisenly, the chassis leg will be stronger nopw than it was before we started.

£50 all in!!!

Big thanks to Wilson Transport Refridgation for having the guts to take this job on with me.

Decked Lupo anyone?

Edited by Tigz

erm...

No but like I said its not painted yet, and the wheels are coming back off tomorrow to fit the coilovers that have just arrived! hehe

So i'll take some pics then.

You can see everything that has been done anyway, its not covered.

I just didnt get the time to stop and take some pics Im afraid.

wont pass mot ? what a load of CRAP, once that is cleaned up and painted you will never know its there ... but i wouldnt take my car decked out on the floor to have mot done

cant believe you stole my idea !!!! hehehehhehe i hope it works out well mate , im gonna be there as soon as i get my rear arches done

top stuff

lmao sorry mate. Didnt meen to steal it.

I wouldnt worry too much though, cant see many doing it, took me hours of phone calls to find someone to take it on!

I know its gonna fly through an MOT.

Once its painted, even VW wont know.

Been playing with the coils, how much lower will it drop it if I remove the ajuster and bump stops?

Plan is tyo deck it this weekend, and enjoy it for a while then raise it back up untill the show season.

Cant wait to see it finished, all I have to do is paint the bumper off Paul, and spoiler.

Once the wheels are sanded and painted black, the car will be exactly how I wanted it!

Mig welded it mate.

Its an engeneer we use at work.

Charges us £70 per hour for fridge or mechanic repairs.

This guy is fantastic, he did it me as a favour.

When I said, I'll have a line of people wanting it done he laughed and told me to stop having a laugh.

You see in the pictures tomorrow that the chassis leg is stronger now than it was before we started.

ok coils are on as low as they will go.

the lovely persons wouldnt remove the ajusters, which turned out being a good thing, as we struggled to get the car off the drive!

The front n/s wheel rubs at speed, but we havn't done anything to the arches.

Pics later...

Car looks good, took a little while to change the dampers cause there was lack of tools!!! Got round this in the end tho.

Shout out to my right hand man Will for passing me stuff (awaiting a reply lol) Max for Brekky and drink, Andi for turning up late (He got lost lol) and was good meeting you too Dan!

Cheers for a good day guys, just ashame about the weather!!!1