shaving sport callipers

mitch2028

im not sure what a milling machine is but i do have an angle grinder handy :rolleyes: whats a rule of thumb you can take off safely? i know the mk1 golf boys remove 8mm from the calliper to run 13s on a gti....any guidance is appreciated. 13s on a sport if anyone was wondering...might just sort the backs and run 1 litre brakes on the front if worst comes to the worst

Mitch

I took a fair bit off mine but couldn't tell you exactly how much, doubt it was more than 5mm but i started to get a bit paranoid about taking off too much! :lol:

you manage to get them on though? 14s aint an option really i;; get them on....id say its 6-7mm i got to take off. I doubt youd ruin the structural integrity by removing that much as there pretty meaty and no where near the calliper bolts needs to be removed.

I'm running 14's but had to shave them because of the shape of the spokes. I know Kam's (heartagram) sport had the callipers shaved for the same wheels as mine before he got the car and he's tried a couple of sets of 13's on which fitted, think they were Compomotive Turbo's and Tramonts. There might be some info about it in his build thread.

What 13's are you trying to fit? If they're splits you might get away with it. I think someone else on here was running 13" alleycats on a jazz blue sport but can't remember the guy's username.

You've said the backs are on, and i just expressed that another member on here had 12" (i think) wheels on the back, as they are so small.

DSC08691.jpg

12" Mini rims with 165/60's on. Two 20mm spacers used to clear the brakes.

(Hope you don't mind Phil)

Those wheels and the shaving look good BTW.